Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about the rest of you, and for the record: I don't take any prescription, psychotrophic drugs. :cupcake

However, I absolutely lose my mind, much needed sleep and have bad dreams if my bike isn't home in my garage. Once, it spent the winter in a friend's garage (I didn't have one then) while we worked on it, but I trusted him and it was just as safe there as anywhere.

My issue is: I recently tore off/apart my inner primary to replace any and all seals/gaskets, (and replace the drive belt) only to find out (after putting it back together) that my leak is a transmission mainshaft seal leak, and in order to replace that, I'll need a special tool for the inner bearing race removal and installation. I can remove it without a special tool, but banging on the new race to install it, less the tool, is not a good idea.

I found an Indy near my house, and the guy seems nice enough. I called today to try to get the bike there. (20* temps outside, but he's only 10 minutes from my house, and I know he's S-L-O-W right now.) Turns out he's on vacation until the beginning of February.

I got to thinking: I was quoted $200 to replace the seal (parts and labor). For the same price, I can order the tools, seals and I already have the gaskets and a new inner primary bearing and new race, already hanging on my trusty parts wall.

I am not a trusting person by nature. I have no reason NOT to trust the Indy, but wouldn't you think I'd be better off learning a new repair all by myself?

The satisfaction of repairing your own bike?

The pleasure of having yet another tool in your tool box?

Yeah..........I thought so. :D

I ordered them this afternoon.......:dance

Tips, clues or directional comments are welcome. I tore it apart already, one-sprocket-short of the leaking seal, so I know what to expect there. I only need to remove the front sprocket to go farther, then the seal(s). Lets here it........

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Bit of a no-brainer, really :D:D:D

Like you, I have no idea what happens next - just don't hit it hard enough to break it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like you, I have no idea what happens next - just don't hit it hard enough to break it :rofl::rofl::rofl:
"Use the Hammer, Luke............." :D

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,176 Posts
The decision is this....

Would you choose a mechanic that will get the job done relatively quickly,
and know the work is done by a guy who probably knows what he is doing, more or less,
BUT, may or may not give a sh*t about the quality of his work, he may or may not
have to answer the phone 10 times or accept a delivery or pay a bill or ring up 3 other customers
in the middle of the job, and he may or may not be really paranoid about screwing things up.
- OR -​
Would you choose a known mediocre mechanic,
who sometimes is slow finishing the work,
who may have a drink now and then,
who may not actually have all the right tools,
but by God cares A LOT about the quality of the work,
and knows there is no way to deflect FULL RESPONSIBILITY for screwing things up.

I have a boatload of stuff to install on my car, it was a group buy,
many of the other buyers paid $2000 to $3000 for the installation,
Instead, I bought both car and a motorcycle lifts.

I much prefer to pay for durable goods, than services, consumables, or experiences.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The decision is this....

Would you choose a mechanic that will get the job done relatively quickly,
and know the work is done by a guy who probably knows what he is doing, more or less,
BUT, may or may not give a sh*t about the quality of his work, he may or may not
have to answer the phone 10 times or accept a delivery or pay a bill or ring up 3 other customers
in the middle of the job, and he may or may not be really paranoid about screwing things up.

- OR -​

Would you choose a known mediocre mechanic,
who sometimes is slow finishing the work,
who may have a drink now and then,
who may not actually have all the right tools,
but by God cares A LOT about the quality of the work,
and knows there is no way to deflect FULL RESPONSIBILITY for screwing things up.
I wouldn't chose either if them. :bat :D

If you're going to do a job where you charge someone money for it, you should be BOTH experinced in your trade/craft AND have the correct tools and stand behind your work, if for some reason, you make a mistake. (We're only human....)

I worked as an auto mechainc for many years, and took painstaking efforts to make sure I did the job correctly the first time, and if I didn't have the right tool for the job, I bought it, or borrowed it, instead of taking shortcuts to just make a buck or get a job out the door. This is probably why, to this date, I own almost $20K in hand and air tools. I have stuff that I'll never look at again, let alone use.....:mad:

After working in that field for almost 15 years, I can say, with the experience and knowledge to back it, that there are still good mechanics out there, despite the horror stories that we've all had or experienced. I applaud them.

My issue with the bike, isn't the time it would take to repair it. My issue is, after seeing/experiencing the crap that goes on out in the real world of mechanics, I don't want to be a victim again, simply because I lack the time or motivation to repair my own vehicles any more.

Example: 3 years ago, I had snow tires placed in my vehicle at a store. I won't mention names, but it rymes with "Steers". :rolleyes:

They wouldn't mount the snow tires on the front of my front wheel drive vehicle, unless I bought 4. Despite that, they agreed to place them on the rear, and I could rotate them on my own. I agreed.

It was raining when I left, so I waited until the next day to rotate them. Upon attempting to undo the rear lug nuts, there were 2 that were cross threaded from starting them with an airgun, "NASCAR" style, (not even seated against the rims) and one lug nut wasn't even from my vehicle, and was a 1.25mm thread, not the proper 1.50mm thread, stuck halfway on the stud, again, not seated on the rim. The vehicle was 1 year old with the original tires on it when I rolled in. Of course the monkey with the airgun lied and stated he didn't do it, but long story short: (I know...too late) I ended up replacing 3 studs and 3 lug nuts myself, rather then let them work on it again, phacking something else up.

Again: I lack the time to always work on my own vehicles and this is one of those times where I'd LIKE to have someone else do it, but would feel better if I did it myself. If something goes wrong, I have nobody to blame but myself. ;)

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Dave,
I couldnt agree with you more. Now that I can afford to have someone do the job for me i dont have any faith that the job will be performed correctly. So I do it myself. the benifit as you mentioned is more tools and peace of mind knowing the job is done right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tighten till it strips,then back off a quarter turn..

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
there were 2 that were cross threaded from starting them with an airgun, "NASCAR" style
Have to admit I watch them like a hawk now, having seen one of the kids in my local tire shop starting to do this and just stopped the idiot in time. The kid disappeared soon after, so I guess he did it one time too many and got fired for bollocksing up some poor punter's lugs :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts