Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i am in need to remove my vance and hines big radius 2 into 2 exhaust from my softail just to put a chrome cam cover on my bike and run new clutch cable to the clutch, has anyone experienced this job and do i need to replace the exhuast gaskets when i perform this job? any input would greatly be appreciated!
thanks

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
hey guys, i am in need to remove my vance and hines big radius 2 into 2 exhaust from my softail just to put a chrome cam cover on my bike and run new clutch cable to the clutch, has anyone experienced this job and do i need to replace the exhuast gaskets when i perform this job? any input would greatly be appreciated!
thanks
Definitely maybe. You'll just have to visually inspect them once the pipes are off.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
The gaskets are inexpensive and easy to replace when the exhaust is off.
When re-installing the exhaust it's important to assemble it per procedure. Leave everything loose, attached and in place then tighten the exhaust flanges first, then tighten all clamps moving from front to back.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I find some things are normally not really required to be replaced. The exhaust gasket being one of them.

With that said taking off and putting back on an exhaust can be a very time consuming process. I would rather pay $10 for a gasket I may not need than to have to go through all of that because it leaked.

:2cents:

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
The gaskets are inexpensive and easy to replace when the exhaust is off.
When re-installing the exhaust it's important to assemble it per procedure. Leave everything loose, attached and in place then tighten the exhaust flanges first, then tighten all clamps moving from front to back.
^^^This. Had my exhaust off for cam chain tensioner check. They are easy to do, not that much $$. Replace em.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
If you don't get your head pipes exactly like they were, there is a very good chance you'll have an exhaust leak. Exhaust gaskets are crush types, and do not spring back at all when pipes are removed. Gaskets are cheap and easy to replace. There's also two types, wire mesh and silver tapered. Lots of opinions on which is better (like all things Harley) but new of either kind is better than reuse. Just M.O.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
Screamin' Eagle Performance Exhaust Gasket Kit-17048-98

Part Number 17048-98
$8.95

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It will take a lot less time to replace them then it will to take the exhaust off again to replace old leaking gaskets. I like the piece of mind of knowing that I did it the correct way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts