Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the rear pads on a 2003 Road King classic. Also bled the brake fluid. Went out on a short ride through the neighborhood. Touched the rear rotor and it was very hot. Is this normal with replacing brake pads. The front rotor was cool to the touch.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You may have a caliper piston that is stuck/frozen . . . raise the bike off the ground and see if you can freely rotate the rear wheel. Is this the first time you've bled the brakes or flushed/replaced the brake fluid (hopefully your brake fluid is not as old as the bike)? Brake fluid attracts moisture and it can lead to failure in the brake system with rust and corrosion.

·
Retired citizen
22,291 Posts
When replacing the brake pads and spreading them to retract the pucks the master cylinder cover should be removed. Retracting the pucks into the caliper causes brake fluid to flow back into the master cylinder which creates pressure that needs to be relieved. If the system was bled that shouldn't be a problem.
Also check the rotor for warp, that'll cause it to overheat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the replies. I did compress the pistons however I did not initially remove the fluid cover. Thought the flush afterwards would relieve any pressure. Had good rear brake peddle resistance during the fluid bleed process. Will jack up tonight after work to check the spin and possible rotor warp. If needed will also remove the fluid cover again and try to create a little space from pad to rotor with a slight compression of the caliper pistons. The bike had been serviced just thought I would take on a little self maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts