Harley Davidson Forums banner

Replacement Front Fairing Speakers

28K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  paid4c4 
#1 ·
I am considering replacing the stock speakers in my fairing with something else. I am not looking to spend big bucks on this since I am actually experimenting with the sound but not power. I want to get 6.5" speakers for my 2014 FLHX that are automotive replacements, or preferably marine speakers (since they would be waterproof) that will fit right into the stock openings without any modifications.

So here is my question; has anyone replaced their stock speakers with something other than the usual Harley or J&M Rokker or other motorcycle accessory vendor? If so, what did you use and how did it work out for you?

#10 ·
Definitely do an amp also or you will not be happy. I did speakers first in my 11 sg and not much different. Then added amp and saddle bag speakers and huge difference.

#11 ·
+ 1 on the amp upgrade. I installed the Infinity kappa 62.11i 6.5" along with the Soundstream PN4.520D amp and WOW it really wakes up the sound on these bikes.
Don't go the cheap route,you will just have to do it over later,spend the money and do it right the first time you won't regret it.
Plus once you upgrade the speakers and add an amp you can get a louder exhaust.$$$

#12 ·
As the OP, I decided to look inside the fairing and check out the stock audio speakers in my FLHX. I took measurements of the speaker and the speaker enclosure opening. I included some pictures of what I found and pointed out those areas that threw me for a loop when trying to take out the enclosure. After removing what I thought were all of the mounting screws, the dang enclosure wouldn't budge from its location. After looking further, I then found two, then three hidden bolts inside the fairing area where the enclosure was bolted on its side to the bracket that held the radio in place. These bolts were every difficult to extract but after some patience, I was able to remove all three. The arrows show those mounting holes on the enclosure and the area in the fairing where the mounting holes are located.

Looking at the speaker, I was very disappointed in the quality of the speaker. Very small magnet but it did have a small tweeter, and of course, made in China. Harley part # 76000096 is considered a 5.25" speaker. After looking at the speakers, I really would like to just replace them with a little better quality such as the Polk or equivalent. But not sure if the 6.5" replacement will fit into the existing enclosure since the enclosure opening is 5 5/8" in diameter.

Oh, yeah, I did get the bike back together with all hardware installed and everything working.

Attachments

#14 ·
The size of the magnet doesn't mean anything. It's simply matched to the power handling capability of the voice coil. The audio signal coming through the wiring is AC voltage. The voltage running through the coil creates a magnetic field. The interaction between the created magnetic field in the coil and the existing field from the magnet moves the cone.

A bigger magnet means a heavier voice coil. They have to be matched. But, when they strengthen the motor, they also almost always use heavier, stiffer materials in the cone and surround. So, if you don't increase the power, the "better" speakers may not perform as well as the stock ones.

If a speaker is rated to handle 50w RMS, you really need the match that with similar power to get the best out of it.

#15 ·
I've been researching this lately for my 14 SG ,

In audio you get what you pay for it seems , most of your upper end audio installers are using Focal or Hertz speakers along with an amp. As there systems increase in price and quality the biggest difference is in the quality of speakers they use.

I understand what your attempting but I think your results will be a minimal improvement if at all with this segment of speakers. These new head units are touchy , you need to be SURE the speakers your using match the ohm rating of the stock speakers , if you do add an amp you will need / should have the dealer flash your Boom Box to " no amp , four , six , or eight speaker " setting. The place I talked to said they would ONLY recommend there level 3 and up for the 2014's and 15's .

After I talked to them I realized my thought of using Focal R165C's ( $170 pair ) and an Arc KS 125.2BX2 amp ($300 ) wasn't going to cut it as it is what there level 1 system uses , unless I stepped up to the Focal 165AC's ( $250 pair ) they will sell a plug & play level 3 system for $700 carry out or installed. This includes a custom wiring harness which is a key item.

They also told me that they have to modify the speaker area to fit the 6.5" speakers in the 14 & 15 bikes, which tells me that standard 6.5" speakers are likely NOT going to just drop in.

While $700 sounds a bit pricey when you compare it to the HD Boom Audio speakers and amp upgrade your getting ALOT more bang for your buck ,

Sorry for the long post , just think your not going to hear much difference with the speakers your thinking about, I'd wait till you can go with a little more. The DB ratings of stock vs BOOM Audio upgrade are only 1 DB @ 60mph . . . .thats a $800 speaker & amp upgrade.

#17 ·
I've been researching this lately for my 14 SG ,

I understand what your attempting but I think your results will be a minimal improvement if at all with this segment of speakers. These new head units are touchy , you need to be SURE the speakers your using match the ohm rating of the stock speakers , if you do add an amp you will need / should have the dealer flash your Boom Box to " no amp , four , six , or eight speaker " setting. The place I talked to said they would ONLY recommend there level 3 and up for the 2014's and 15's .

After I talked to them I realized my thought of using Focal R165C's ( $170 pair ) and an Arc KS 125.2BX2 amp ($300 ) wasn't going to cut it as it is what there level 1 system uses , unless I stepped up to the Focal 165AC's ( $250 pair ) they will sell a plug & play level 3 system for $700 carry out or installed. This includes a custom wiring harness which is a key item.

They also told me that they have to modify the speaker area to fit the 6.5" speakers in the 14 & 15 bikes, which tells me that standard 6.5" speakers are likely NOT going to just drop in.

While $700 sounds a bit pricey when you compare it to the HD Boom Audio speakers and amp upgrade your getting ALOT more bang for your buck ,

Sorry for the long post , just think your not going to hear much difference with the speakers your thinking about, I'd wait till you can go with a little more. The DB ratings of stock vs BOOM Audio upgrade are only 1 DB @ 60mph . . . .thats a $800 speaker & amp upgrade.
67Duce,

After reading more about these audio systems and also reading on another site about the required flashing of the stock Boom! radio if it applies to my 4.5" non-GPS radio, I decided it isn't worth it to me to go through all of this and the expense to hear "better quality" sound. So I will take a break from it all and not bother doing anything more and just enjoy the stock radio system for what it is. Spending $500.00+ is out of the question! Are those Focal speakers waterproof? They should be either marine or made of waterproof material to withstand the outdoor environment motorcycles subject audio equipment to.

The irony; when I bought the 2014 FLHX I had no interest in the radio at all. It just came with the bike. Then, after hearing another rider's bike with his "pumped" up audio system, I was blown away from the sound, and of course it peaked my curiosity.

Thanks to all for your assistance in helping me. It truly was a learning experience.

#20 ·
This is a sickness we all have with always wanting to change things on toys that we have already spent way too much money for in the first place ! This is my first Harley and it only took me 50 years to finally spend the money on one......however, as I am finding out even though I got a Harley, I cant leave it alone ..... even though I promised the wife I would !

#21 ·
The way I see it...

The Harley engineers and designers built the bike the way they thought it should look and feel.

We buy that bike and eventually build it the way we want it to be. And in order for that to happen, we must spend, spend, spend! :rollin

Raptor1797, show your wife this posting and hopefully she'll understand. You're not alone!

#24 ·
I have a 11 SG and just added a hog tunes 75A amp with Polk MM651 speakers and it soundes great. These are marine speakers too. Had to buy speaker adaptors but got them off ebay for $16. Huge difference than the HD Boom speakers that were on the bike when I bought it.

#27 ·
I am in the process of getting everything I need to install a system in my 07 Electra Glide standard, the more I read about what to get and what others have done and or are doing I am getting more and more confused. I have a stock HK from a 2013 RG on the way, I know my fairing stock speaker cutouts are for a 5.125 speaker, I really want to go to at least a 6.5, I know there are adapter rings out there. Other issue AMP no AMP? Most likely getting an amp, also wanting to keep system and install under $500, I'm happy as long as I can hear tunes clear at freeway speeds. I have all harnesses in fairing already, just was told if I get an AMP then I need another harness to run the power to it so it doesn't overload the charging system or drain the battery.... on the speakers I am assuming I need marine grade water proof so rain doesn't ruin them? Looking at some Infinity Kappa 62.11I speakers I am not seeing that these are water resistant? If anyone has any advice to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

#28 ·
Most people don't worry about getting waterproof speakers. It would take an awful lot of really hard rain to get them wet, and most of the new ones are made out of some kind of polypropylene material anyway. They aren't paper.

You want to get an amp, especially if you end up going with an aftermarket 6.25 inch speaker. I just put the 6.25 inch infinitys in my bike, and I put a 150 W per side amp on them.

#31 ·
i Just installed the Rockford 300x2 PBR amp with a set of Rockford 6 1/2 Punch speakers purchased together for $187.00 to the door.. found the adapter rings on ebay for $11 and some change.( local stereo shop wanted $49 for the same rings ) Running a Sony head unit that came with the Biketronics kit i bought years ago have to say its sounds pretty good but the speakers sounded better at the before mentioned shop when i was putting prices together...according to the specs they should be able to handle the power but im still getting some distortion..Im gonna keep tinkering with some settings before i decide to try some Infinitys....

#33 ·
Since I posted on this thread, I have upgraded my speaker to Hertz HCX 6.5 speakers. After blowing 2 sets of the polks by overpowering them I can hear the Hertz at ANY speed. These are a bit on the pricy side $250 a set but well worth it. Iam also running a PBR 300x2 amp with only have the gain turned up. Just a thought.

#34 ·
I, being the OP, haven't posted to this thread in over a year or so and never updated what I ended up doing. So here it is...

I purchased Hogtunes speakers (model # 362F-RM) that are "plug and play, installed them and since that time I can only say that there is minimum sound improvement. I cannot blame the speakers since there is no amp to drive the speakers and I also didn't have Harley adjust the Boom! EQ as suggested by many here on this forum. Rockford Fosgate explains in their documentation online what needs to be done to improve sound quality through the Boom! system flash to change EQ settings. That would be another expense.

In the end, I spent $150.00 on two speakers and got essentially not much sound improvement and I doubt that I will go any further with the sound system. At highway speeds, the sound gets distorted, plus I can't hear the audio that well with my helmet on. To add an amp will be an additional $400.00 expense that I don't see happening. If someone knows of a very "inexpensive" amp that is "plug and play" for this bike, let me know.

#38 ·
Just playing "devil's advocate" here but why change out the speakers in the first place?....I mean while moving at 40 mph to 70 mph how much better "fidelity" are you really going to achieve? I suppose if the goal is to have a better sounding system while parked, then go for it......but otherwise, at speed, the sound coming from the speakers is so distorted and in competition with other road noises, why bother?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.