Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my 96 inch Twin Cam motor with a 110 inch motor. I'd like to run a carburetor and get rid of the ECM. Is that possible? Does anyone make a conversion kit for that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new motor didn't come with an ECM. According to the local Harley mechanic the ECM on the bike now won't run the 110 inch motor. He said the tank would have to be changed too because the 96 inch motor had a carburetor. Not totally opposed to fuel injection. Just looking for an affordable solution to the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't the carb from the 96" be used on the 110" ?
The bike won't start. The local HD mechanic said the ECM that powered the 96 inch motor won't work on the 110 inch motor. Instead of buying a new (or used) ECM and such ( new tank, fuel pump, etc.) that will power the 110 inch motor I'm looking into alternatives.

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
Wait a minute ... Your 96" was carbed but the new 110" is set up for EFI ? How did the 96" get carbed in the first place ? All 96" were EFI from the MoCo.
If the 96" was converted to carb the same convert should work with the 110".
There's only one sensor for the 96" and the 110" that is relevant, the CKP. The ECM for both carbed engines should work.
There are some other elements to the equation but if the 96" was already carbed the parts should cross over to the 110" engine.
OR am I missing something here ??? Maybe some more info on this engine swap ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait a minute ... Your 96" was carbed but the new 110" is set up for EFI ? How did the 96" get carbed in the first place ? All 96" were EFI from the MoCo.
If the 96" was converted to carb the same convert should work with the 110".
There's only one sensor for the 96" and the 110" that is relevant, the CKP. The ECM for both carbed engines should work.
There are some other elements to the equation but if the 96" was already carbed the parts should cross over to the 110" engine.
OR am I missing something here ??? Maybe some more info on this engine swap ?
The bike is a 2006 FLHT base model Electra Glide. It came from the factory with a carburetor. I might be mistaken about it being a 96 inch motor from the factory. According to Wiki the 96 inch motor first came in the 2007 HDs. The motor has been replaced a few times. The one I just took out was a 96 inch motor with a carb. That was motor number 3 since I've owned it. I ordered a new (new to me) ECM. It should be here next week. That should do the trick. If not I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

·
Registered
37,199 Posts
2006 would be an 88". Last year for carb option.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I would still get whatever is needed for injection much better than carb!!! Of course just my opinion

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd have to get a new tank and fuel pump. I'm not even sure I got all the parts required to run fuel injection when I bought the motor. I prefer the carburetor because I don't want to have to pay somebody to tune that part of the bike for me. Other than having a couple new front tires installed I've done all the work on this bike myself. I do the rear tires myself. It's a trike. I did that too.

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
3 engines already, going on number 4 ! OP is hard on engines !
Why won't your carb and ignition from the 96" work on the 110" engine ?
Is the 110" from Harley or aftermarket ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first motor I put in it was probably not in as good of condition I thought it was in. The rings collapsed right outside of Vegas heading to California from Sturgis via Yellowstone. Cousin from Cali rescued me and I replaced that motor there before heading home to Florida. That motor was still running strong but I got the low mileage 110 inch Screaming Eagle motor really cheap and sold the 96 inch motor to a riding buddy who had 100,000 miles on his bike. That's my next bike project after I get my bike running. I don't know why the ECM from the original 88 inch motor won't work but it doesn't. It worked fine on the 96 inch motors with the same carburetor.

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
Man the ECM / ICM from the carbed 88", 96" and 110" engines should be a match. It ain't an ECM it's an ICM, big difference. ECMs are EFI, ICMs are Carbed. Yours are all carbed engines and all have the same sensors and all have ICM ignitions. Should work IMO.
The electrical harness connectors might have to be mated if they don't match but the rest should function.
The MoCo has had a bad habit of switching up on electrical wiring harnesses over the years but mostly to do with the ECM / ICM companies. And there's been a bunch of them since the early 90s ! But only 2 EFIs, Magneti Marelli and Delphi and they changed up on their electrical harnesses too !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The last 2 96" motors were fuel injected before I installed them. But they worked fine with the ECM (or ICM) that I assume came on the bike from the factory. The 110" motor was fuel injected as well. Since I got it running with the last 2 formerly fuel injected 96" motors using the same ECM and carburetor I figured I could do the same with the 110" but it won't start. A local well respected Harley mechanic is the one that told me the E (or I) CM I have on the bike now won't work with the 110" motor.

·
South GA Redneck
3,895 Posts
I’m with Schmidty on this one. All the Twin Cams after 2001 are virtually the same operationally. Some of the components are different, but if they’re carbed, all they need is the CKP sensor to tell the ignition system when to fire the plugs. And if it was working with the 96” I can’t think of a reason it wouldn’t work with the 110.” Only thing different between the 96” and 110” is cylinder bore, heads, and cams. As far as that goes, you could build the 96” into a 110”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bottom line is the bike won't start. The timing appears to be off because it backfired through the carburetor and caught on fire momentarily. At this point I'm just going to wait until I get the new ECM and go from there but I appreciate the input I've gotten here. Thank you.

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
Got the plug wires on backwards, it happens ? Try switching them to see what happens, can't hurt anything.
What baggerboy said, all basically the same engines.
ECM; electronic control module. Basically an EEPROM programmable computer, 16 bit I believe.
ICM: Integrated control module. Integrated circuitry with a ROM chip that stores minimum data and codes.
No confusion anymore. Carbed Harleys have ICMs and EFI Harleys have ECMs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love the carburetor.
New fuel injection adds a bunch of moving parts any one will stop the parade. Carbs are easy to fix. Easy to tell if your getting fuel. The only thing my 06 883R is missing is the kick start. This is the way cycles should be. Not built like a car.
Carbs rule.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts