Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I went through my daily e-mail, I found an e-mail from the White House. The text claims it is in response to MY letter to said house and was cordial and condescending at the same time while trying to calm fears about the gun grabbing legislation being discussed. Well, not one to pass up an opportunity (call it an excuse), I responded. I know it probably is already in the circular file, but here is the text of the reply:

First, I have never written to the White House, and while I appreciate your letter, I have no idea why you sent it. However, since you have taken the time to send it to me, I feel I have a right to respond and I shall. Whereas your message states you aren’t trying to take away our second Amendment Rights, you have within your party certain elements such as Diane Feinstein who have publicly stated on more than one occasion that she wants to collect ALL OF THE GUNS we have. That attitude (and she is not alone in the legislature with such views) tells me that either she has no understanding of the Constitution or totally disregards it and thinks she is free to do as she wishes in government. In either case, I have no respect for her ideas nor her methodology, and if you are in any way in support of her or her agenda, I extend those feelings accordingly. People who have no regard for the instrument of government, our Constitution, that allows them to be in their particular positions of power need to go back home and learn or remember how it feels to be subjected to their particular kind of arrogance. If, in fact, you are not trying to limit our Second Amendment rights, why have you been so noticeably silent in your NOT criticizing California’s Senator and her sympathizing cronies who so obviously do want to take away our right to own guns.

The recent incident at the college in Houston strengthens the point that we have nut cases out there who are capable and willing to do harm, and the harm can be inflicted without a gun. The GUN is NOT the culprit. Yet, when New Town’s incident occurred, you decided it was proper to come after our guns. I hear no similar sentiments to come after X-Acto knives after this most recent incident, and yet, the incidents are much the same (with fortunately less tragic results in Houston). I am a potential gun owner, and I am NOT the culprit. Any restriction in any guise limits my rights, and I am thus being punished for a deed I did not commit. Whereas I feel great pain for the innocent children slaughtered in Connecticut, I in NO WAY support your program to restrict the access I presently have to firearms, and that includes those notorious “assault weapons” that are NOT assault weapons except in the minds of those who don’t, apparently, have a clue; that so many in Washington obviously fear for their lack of experience and knowledge. I further resent the panic-response your campaign has inspired in this country coupled with the DHS purchasing of unbelievable amounts of ammunition (with MY TAX MONEY) with no explanation that causes me a further restriction on my ability to find ammunition and thus constitutes a de facto governmental INFRINGEMENT on my 2nd Amendment Rights. I can only hope that calmer heads will prevail and the assault on the 2nd Amendment will stop. Shall not be Infringed is pretty self-explanatory to most of us, why is it not as apparent to those in power? I am not convinced by your words nor deeds that you do not have a hidden anti-gun agenda. Based on the historical record of your days in Illinois and the U.S. Senate, I will continue to feel that way until this nonsense is stopped. You can be assured that people all over this country share my view on this.

Thank you again for your nice letter. I hope your staff will take the time to read this one and take it in the form of constructive criticism.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
Do you mind if I borrow that?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be my esteemed guest. Hope it does some good for the cause.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
Thank you. It is very well written, and I am afraid if I were to attempt to write it, I would sound a bit more antagonistic. You nailed it with just the right amount of contempt without seeming contemptuous.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fantastic letter. Too bad no one in the White House will read it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Well, you did the same thing i would have done......although you have a much better writing skill than me. It's a great letter, but as some have said....i'm afraid it will fall on deaf ears..

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wrote it with the assumption that no one indeed would read it although it was definitely sent to the White House, but then, there's us, and we have friends and they have other friends, and such things have a way, sometimes, of growing legs. Just another slight kick at their nuts. Enough kick attempts, someone may connect.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
I wrote it with the assumption that no one indeed would read it although it was definitely sent to the White House, but then, there's us, and we have friends and they have other friends, and such things have a way, sometimes, of growing legs. Just another slight kick at their nuts. Enough kick attempts, someone may connect.
Well, I have introduced it onto the facebook rounds...

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Excellent letter!!!!!!!!!

Virtual high-five!

If that wasn't imformative (and slightly condescending in-return, which I found humorous), then I don't know what is. That was VERY well written.

You should get like 100,000 people to send that same letter to the WhiteHouse. That would be FUNNY! Then they would HAVE to respond! Remember their little asinine status of reaching 100K signatures before having to respond.... Well, here's another chance!

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Very well written. Kudos to you sir!!! We must all keep up the fight for our freedoms!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hope you don't mind but I'd like to borrow it too.
Anybody that so desires has my permission to use this. I'm hoping whoever in the White House gets to read this before it goes to the circular file feels just a little bit tweaked by what I wrote. I'm still trying to figure out how the heck the White House got anything from my e-mail addy before I sent this reply.

·
Semper Fi
563 Posts
I got the same email from the White House, KD. Like you, I have never sent an email to them. I've sent MANY to my Senators and Congressmen. It makes you wonder about what information these guys are mining from the internet and our personal email.

It pisses me off greatly.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that info, Scooter. I sort of suspected this was something like that because I had no desire to send anything up there until that pious sounding BS hit my inbox.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts