Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 89 tour glide classic I just picked up. I like old bikes but I like them mint! The radio caddy has a crack in the plastic
Housing. Any chance of finding a replacement? And if I remove the caddy is there a piece that's supposed to take its place or I can just take it out?
Lastly. Are the lower leg fairings still available? Is it possible to mount later year evo tour glide crash bars on the older bike and then get a set of fairings?

·
Wayward Son
23,316 Posts
You are asking some pretty specific questions on an older model.
Going to be sort of hard getting specific answers.
Google and internet searches, ebay, the yellow pages and a phone are going to be your best friend for your project.
Example. Robs Used Harley Parts
As far as the radio. Sounds like you do not plan on replacing it. Try searching for a "radio delete kit" for the make and model.
Unsure if they made a plate to cover the slot. Or it it was left open as sort of a glove box.

·
Retired citizen
23,369 Posts
Try Bill's custom cycles, or is it Bob's ? Anyways they deal in obsolete H-D parts. You can look the p/n up at Ronnies Parts Finder web site.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. No numbers on anything. I'll try calling those places. I've tried searching but doesn't seem to be a lot of info on that model

Robs is a no go

·
Wayward Son
23,316 Posts
Try Bill's custom cycles, or is it Bob's ? Anyways they deal in obsolete H-D parts. You can look the p/n up at Ronnies Parts Finder web site.
Tried Ronnies. Only thing they have for 89 are Sportsters.

·
Wayward Son
23,316 Posts
Doing a google search for vintage Harley parts turned up quit a few leads. Many were for Shovels and earlier.
But a couple I looked at did have some offerings for 89`s.
I have never dealt with any of them so use at your own discretion.
Jan Willem Boon - Obsolete New Old Stock parts for your Harley-Davidson motorcycle and American made replacement parts
https://www.masclassics.com/nosparts.html < This one looks like you need part numbers to use it right.

A shop and parts manual would sure come in handy. A quick look around ebay did not turn up anything other then Clymers.
Have no idea if a Dealer may still be able to get you one.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Doing a google search for vintage Harley parts turned up quit a few leads. Many were for Shovels and earlier.
But a couple I looked at did have some offerings for 89`s.
I have never dealt with any of them so use at your own discretion.
Jan Willem Boon - Obsolete New Old Stock parts for your Harley-Davidson motorcycle and American made replacement parts
https://www.masclassics.com/nosparts.html < This one looks like you need part numbers to use it right.

A shop and parts manual would sure come in handy. A quick look around ebay did not turn up anything other then Clymers.
Have no idea if a Dealer may still be able to get you pne.
The Service Manual and the Parts Book are printed to order . both are still available from the MoCo.

Motorcycle Manuals & Brochures | Harley-Davidson

·
Wayward Son
23,316 Posts

·
Poser Member # 99
17,658 Posts
Ebay or Amazon I picked up a parts manual for my 85 Electra glide a few years ago but it covers 1984 to 1986 FLT
The Service manual covers years 1984 to 1990 FLT/FXR

Bubba's Tri City Cycle in Linwood Mi has a site but if you have a part number they can check. He has a bunch of parts for older bikes

bubbastricitycycles.com ............................ Phone # 989-697-5755

Bubba's a old school biker

And that's Him

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Type radio caddy for 89 tour glide classic. e-bay, scroll down and you should find one their calling Fairing Radio Deck Speaker. Fits 1985-1986. This comes with the radio and is listed for $319.99.

I did not read further to see if the radio actually worked. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If you remove the radio caddy, there will be like a shelf that has holes for the speaker and radio wires. If you are not aware, to remove radio caddy you have to remove the headlights to gain access to the bolts.

I believe the highway bars for your bike require it to have a valve stem for the anti-dive system. I've seen these for sale at J&P Cycle

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I remove the caddy....is there a piece or something that replaces where it is? Or can u just take it off and that's the way it was from the factory?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow. U guys posted at the same time! Where there plugs for these holes? I want this bike looking oem legit!

That caddy is cracked up.

·
Retired citizen
23,369 Posts
Try to locate '89 police special models, they didn't come with radios only a plastic plug in the radio hole.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
When the radio caddy is removed, it looks like a dash board with some holes for the wires. In the earlier models, the radio caddy was an option. I like the look with the caddy better.

I don't know how big the crack is. If you cannot find a caddy to your satisfaction, You probably could find someone who could repair it with fiberglass. Just a suggestion.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Just about any body shop worth their weight can repair that for you. I went to auto body as an elective when I was in high school and I remember taking two bad fiberglass Corvette hoods and making one good one out of them and then the school sold them to make money. If we can do that then I would think a small caddy wouldn't be a problem for a pro.

-Rohan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts