Harley Davidson Forums banner
201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
old scoot coot
4,885 Posts
we had a problem on the way back. brian will fill ya in on that. we had a great time at the reunion. great riding, fraternization, weather and motel is coming along. we were glad sean, omega and larry and jake could make it. i hope to see y'all again next year. no blood this year but liz has emergency protocals in place just in case. larry, brian, and i had a really good ride saturday, about 160 miles and scouted out a better one for next year, i think, ha! larry really wears off the corner of the tires, he can ride well. of course brian straightens out the corners with the new low too. some time same place next year hermanos y hermanas! enjoy the season and your scoots. see ya at twister if not before.😎

·
weird member
3,060 Posts
It was a good time, even though I didn't ride with any of you guys any of those days. Next year, I'm going to split the trip up into two days and not be doing an IB, that way I won't be too wore out and I can join in on some of the action.

I definitely need more experience riding twisties, that's one place my riding skills are still lacking. Though they're getting better every time I come out there.

·
old scoot coot
4,885 Posts
It was a good time, even though I didn't ride with any of you guys any of those days. Next year, I'm going to split the trip up into two days and not be doing an IB, that way I won't be too wore out and I can join in on some of the action.

I definitely need more experience riding twisties, that's one place my riding skills are still lacking. Though they're getting better every time I come out there.
track braking is a useful tool in the twisties. :p

·
weird member
3,060 Posts
track braking is a useful tool in the twisties. :p
Oh yeah, I was doing that.

For the most part, I handle them pretty decently, it's only the ones on a downhill grade that really give me trouble. I dunno why, I'm even not going any faster most of the time (engine and trail braking). Though all of the kind of twisties there (downhill, uphill or flat) are still something I am not used to and an area I could improve with.

There's just nowhere near here to practice that kind of riding.

·
old scoot coot
4,885 Posts

For the most part, I handle them pretty decently, it's only the ones on a downhill grade that really give me trouble. I dunno why, I'm even not going any faster most of the time (engine and trail braking). Though all of the kind of twisties there (downhill, uphill or flat) are still something I am not used to and an area I could improve with.

trail braking?

·
old scoot coot
4,885 Posts
trail braking?
oops looked it up, same thing. i always heard it called track braking. anyway much more important in decending turns where the momentum of bike is greater due to gravity. it is counterintuitive but you need to be much more aggressive on the front brake than on flat or accending turns and getting more comfortable with countersteering beyond where ya used to be comfortable. you are getting it, just need more practice. most of us only get practice maybe once or twice a year. it's probably a good thing we don't get to every day because we would soon be trying to ride beyond the bike's limits as well as our own. when the hair starts standing up on the back of our necks we need to slow down. it aint motocross and the penalties are much greater on the asphault twisties in mountains.:p

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
oops looked it up, same thing. i always heard it called track braking. anyway much more important in decending turns where the momentum of bike is greater due to gravity. it is counterintuitive but you need to be much more aggressive on the front brake than on flat or accending turns and getting more comfortable with countersteering beyond where ya used to be comfortable. you are getting it, just need more practice. most of us only get practice maybe once or twice a year. it's probably a good thing we don't get to every day because we would soon be trying to ride beyond the bike's limits as well as our own. when the hair starts standing up on the back of our necks we need to slow down. it aint motocross and the penalties are much greater on the asphault twisties in mountains.:p
This is a most excellent post!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was busting on Tommy for taking us past the entrance to War Eagle five, six or was it seven times before we finally turned down the right road. But to own up on some of my own navigational skills,

Fartboy and I took off for Wilson Combat leaving the other group to go back to Rogers. We didn't cross the War Eagle bridge but instead headed north. The first major road, the Garmin was saying go left. Even though it didn't feel right, I did. The gps kept terminating the route though, wouldn't go back to Wilson Combat. We finally stopped at Beaver Shores and I pulled out the phone, got us going back the right direction. One more u-turn at the Wilson complex and we were inside. Bigger than shit we left there and went to Nighthawk. I overshot that location, got confused by the storage building thing they have going on there. Anyway, made it inside Nighthawk, still overwhelmed about how friendly they were there and excited to show off their facility.

I had Spotwalla running, this is what it looked like that day.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I keep saying, them Nighthawks, they’re like keeping your butter on the stovetop all the time and spreading that butter on a piece of toast right out of the toaster. Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Les Baer, true American craftsmanship, real pride in their work (and prices)

·
Road Junkie
2,020 Posts
Ain't costing me a penny. Costing the MoCo more than the bike is worth.

But yeah, keep on running your cock holster.
A little sensitive on this topic, Brian? LOL.
Glad the MOCO and dealer are standing behind their kit.

·
Lisa
826 Posts

Kyle, you and I are of the same frame of mind in that regards. Downhill left hand curves are a psychological trap for me. Add wet pavement . . .. .

201 - 220 of 220 Posts