Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Fatbob with the 103". My question is: where should I set the rev limiter too on this engine? With the install of a woods 777 this thing hits the 6200 limit very quickly and easily. What can the stock valve train and lower end handle? Does 7000rpm sound about right?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,075 Posts
First off I am not a wrench, nor do I play one in real life. Just a thought or two. I found the rev limits of a Sporty set between 5500 and 7000 from the factory... according to eHow.. and of course they never lie on the internet. My thoughts would be to find your bike's rev limits from the factory, and set it at the high end.. Just my .02

·
Registered
739 Posts
6200 witht hat cam should be pretty well maxed out if you had a dyno sheet im sure you would see the power is falling off...also with the stock crank and cast pistons i wouldnt push it past the 6200 mark

the stock valve train might be able to handle 6500 but thats going to be about it...7k on a 4.37 crank is alot of piston speed vs the sportys with 3.8 cranks...

look at it this way a sporty spinning 7k is like a big twin with the 4.37 crank spinning 6100rpm

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have a 2012 Fatbob with the 103". My question is: where should I set the rev limiter too on this engine? With the install of a woods 777 this thing hits the 6200 limit very quickly and easily. What can the stock valve train and lower end handle? Does 7000rpm sound about right?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
It is really making power at 6200, or has the hp curve already "curled over" prior to that, due to the OE cylinder heads inability to no longer move the correct air, and the actual momentum whips you to that rpm?
7000 rpms is outside the box, for all but the stoutest of street engines, that have been professionally built with parts designed to withstand that type of workout, in a long stroke, pushrod engine.
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts