Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd day on my bike and I'm confused as to the proper way to come to a stop light. Coming from a sport bike thats all I did when coming to a stop. I rarely used my brakes and let the engine do all the braking. I like knowing what gear I'm in and matching my wheel speed to the road speed. I just really don't know if this is something that should be avoided on a cruiser. I can't seem to find anything in my searches so any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rev matching to tire speed is fine, but when you engine brake it eats up the rear tire. I ride with a few guys and some engine brake, and some brake brake. The guys and gals who brake with brakes get better life out of tires and the engine brakers google what rear tire gets the best mileage a lot.

One day at a light I jammed on my brakes, harder and harder whadya figure, the bike just sat there, so I use the engine to accelerate, and brakes to decel. Nice grippy tires last longer than hard slippy tires for the engine brakers. As always these are just rubber to the road booyah miles riding exprience, no labs or science or math formulas. Just riding......

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
I use both brakes and match engine speed. Not really engine braking, but not braking with the clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm a wrencher, so I don't pay much attention to what it'll do. But I usually downshift and drop the clutch. With the drag pipes it makes for a nice attention getter when pulling up to an intersection. Even just to decel on the road, cages look when they hear it mostly. Safety first I always say.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
260 Posts
Used to engine brake with rev matching. But, when I bought the powervision, I learned that the stock map sets the decel afr at 13.0, while Idle is set at 14.6 (closed loop.) Now, I just brake while holding clutch and downshifting. I was surprised at how much it was affecting my fuel economy. I ride only short trips, and was getting low to mid 30s (mpg.) Caveat: I will still use rev matching in case I feel I might need the power to escape, like heavy traffic. Rev matching is more fun, though. Either way, your bike -- your decision.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,048 Posts
Brake pads are cheaper and easier to change than tires.

Main reason I shift down appropriate to speed is so as to be in the correct gear to accelerate in any split-second as necessary. But I'm not using the driveline to slow the bike down. The exception would be on long downgrades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts