Harley Davidson Forums banner

Reverse gear

21K views 39 replies 28 participants last post by  zasto 
#1 ·
http://www.eglidegoodies.com
Have anyone installed a reverse gear or know of anyone that has installed one in an 09 6 speed E-Glide or other touring bike?

Pic from eglidegoodies

Tim :)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I installed one of the Champion Reverse gear kit today. Install is straight forward. Took about 4 hours. Taking everything off to get to trany side cover took longer than the install of the kit. I will post pics when I download them from my camera. This kit works really well and you do have to watch how fast you go, or you won't be able to walk backwards fast enough to keep up.

Tim

Tim

#5 ·
Ditto on the Trunk Monkey.

Reverse gear is for trikes and sissy-la-la-men that can't push their bikes backwards.

#7 ·
I guess your bike does not weight 889 lbs. without gear in the bags and tour pak and you never have to back up a grade, you always back downhill or never back up in loose gravel or grass.

You must be superman if you have never been in a position and couldn't back it up.

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, just posted that I installed a kit and that makes me a sissy-la-la-man?

What ever a trunk monkey is I guess I don't have one of those. Is that a H-D add on part and is it chrome?

Tim

#10 ·
I think my SG is 150 lbs heavier than my V-Rod was? It pushes like the breaks are binding. It feels like 500 lbs heavier. I sure wouldn't mind having reverse, especially when trying to back it up on gravel. I'm all ready to invest in another pair of riding boots, something with a tread. It's a struggle everytime I get it out and that makes me nervous. It's still new and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I only have so much a.. (lol)

#12 ·
I know I'm staying with my sporty now, cris sake!!!! Dam heavy to push up hill both ways. :D:rofl:

#13 ·
I know I'm staying with my sporty now, cris sake!!!! Dam heavy to push up hill both ways...in the snow......on my way to school.. :D:rofl:
Fixed that Scol.............:D

#21 ·
Here are some pics of the revese gear install. I purchased the kit direct from Champion Sidecars in CA.

Tim

Attachments

#22 ·
I don't claim to know exactly "how" it works, but isn't the reverse gear on a Gold Wing run by the starter motor? Those who I've talked to say it works really well. Surely HD knows about it. I'd rather mess with installing something on my starter motor than tear into my tranny. I ride a RK now, but I've seen times past when I could have used some help with even my old sporty backing up and out of some place. I think for the money and the effort, I'll just keep the old lady in shape enough to push. :thumb

#28 ·
Had one put on last winter, during our 6 month down-time, and feel the $1600 was money well spent. You do have to very sure you are in Neutral anytime you engage the reverse tho. I was informed it would be a disastrous mistake to not check I was in Neutral. So I pull into the sidewalk, shift to Neutral, let the clutch out to verify, pull the clutch for a count to 10 (to let everything stop spinning), slip the reverse lever into gear, and slowly let 96 ci back my ~850 lbs of Ultra up into the garage. It does take some time to get used to going backward when sliding the clutch out rather than forward. Don't need to use any gas, just good old H-d torque.
I have arthritis in both knees and really get a perverse kick out of seeing other riders noticing something is wrong when I back up with power.
Nodakrider

#31 ·
RE: reverse on a big Harley.
I’m a big guy, useta be tuff ruff kinda guy. Useta could back that big SOB out of anywhere or had my woman hook up the chains to her nipple rings and just pull be backers. But Useta don’t live here no more and the nipple rings on my little dream boat is now a tug boat and just don’t have the ump she usta, she wont even get on top anymore! I’m 60 now and guess I’m just a wuss,it is sad to me to think the Japanese are just so much more aware of weight ratio verses age and length of ones legs and produces a very nice motor cycle with a reverse (standard ) and a lot of other great amenities. You guys can brag and boast all you want ,but Harley if not carful are going to lose the older crowd and the ones that can afford there high price bikes, just like the American auto manufactures did.

#34 ·
Harley is ernestly trying. Check out the Tri-Glide. There is a waiting list at most dealers and us older codgers are buying them. Thing is, there will come a time, with the increased cubes on air-cooled twins and EPA tighter restrictions, they will have to go water-cooled. I know, I know..."not in my f**kin life time!". But you know it's gonna/gotta happen

#37 ·
Reverce on Trike

My Trike has a Electric Reverse on it. It has a starter motor that pivots up to make contact with the rear pulley. All you have to do is put her in neutral, pull the reverse lever up and push the horn button and away you go. It has a safety built in, if the bike is in gear the horn blows.

I know this is different from being on two wheels but it sure is nice to just push a button and back up where ever you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.