Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

2014 883n Sportster International model

I've removed the front headlight and fitted a billet headlight. The original headlight relay had:
White wire
Yellow wire
black wire
orange with white stripe (for international side lamp)

My new headlight only had two wires, yellow and red.

I wired the white wire to red, yellow to yellow and I grounded the black leaving the orange with white stripe covered off. The high beam and low beam works perfectly when tested with the bike "On".

I've just gone to go ride the bike and the battery is flat, either whilst working on the bike i've left her on too long without running thereby running the battery flat without turning her over or i've wired it incorrectly and it's draining the battery some how when the bike is off. ALthough this doesn't make sense to me as when I turn the bike off the light goes off with it.

ANy ideas?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hi Folks,

2014 883n Sportster International model

I've removed the front headlight and fitted a billet headlight. The original headlight relay had:
White wire
Yellow wire
black wire
orange with white stripe (for international side lamp)

My new headlight only had two wires, yellow and red.

I wired the white wire to red, yellow to yellow and I grounded the black leaving the orange with white stripe covered off. The high beam and low beam works perfectly when tested with the bike "On".

I've just gone to go ride the bike and the battery is flat, either whilst working on the bike i've left her on too long without running thereby running the battery flat without turning her over or i've wired it incorrectly and it's draining the battery some how when the bike is off. ALthough this doesn't make sense to me as when I turn the bike off the light goes off with it.

ANy ideas?
Recharge you battery first. Then before you hookup the neg cable, using a meter set to amps, see if there is an current draw between the battery post and the cable. Anything over .20 milliamps is wrong and you have a problem .

·
Retired citizen
24,534 Posts
Negative cable disconnected from the battery, meter set to milliamps and test leads between the negative cable and battery terminal. Meter should read no more than approx. 7mA.
IMO, your new headlight should be wired with both red and yellow to high and low beams with the headlight body grounded to the forks and the forks grounded to the frame. Those two wires are the high and low beams.

·
Retired citizen
24,534 Posts
To test the yellow and red wires, ground the headlight body with a jumper wire to battery ground and then a jumper from the battery positive to red and then yellow for high and low beams.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts