Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. I've done a lot of reading and I've been messing with my carb. I've read about reading the plugs that's no problem. I'm just wondering what will my bike run like if its too rich? I'm worried about it being too lean so I'd rather it be a little rich but what are the performance downfalls of running too rich or too lean? Thanks a lot I'm sure you guys get fed up with the same questions over and over

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Running to lean, the bike will run hot, spit out the air cleaner and so on.

Running rich, the bike will break up down low if the pilot jet is rich, will smell, and might get some black smoke out the exhaust, to rich up top the bike will really lack top end.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I'm getting mixed answers about which way the mix screw goes to do what. Like in richer out leaner or visa versa. On my other thread still bill said out is richer in is leaner. But then I ran across this thread too. So I'm not sure who to listen to!!! Any insight is appreciated

ImageUploadedByMO Free1368701832.362139.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
23,206 Posts
Turning the screw in leans the mixture.

·
Registered
38,946 Posts
Keihin CV turning the screw in leans it out. Mikuni is the opposite, turning in the screw richens it up.

The Keihin CV, the A/F screw adjusts fuel flow, and in Mikuni HSRs the pilot A/F screw adjusts air flow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts