Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never recall seeing a ride bell on anything but a Harley. For sure not on any crotch rockets.

Just got the GF`s nephew his.
His "not legally adopted" Dad rides an old Honda 750/4.
Both of them have treated me with nothing but the utmost respect since I started coming around. And then moved here permanently.
The Dad was instrumental in my getting T~S. Used his trailer and truck to haul her home. Was there to cover my back when I had all the cash and no clue who we were dealing with. Stored her at his place for a while. Had free run of his garage and tools until our garage was done.
Hell. For reasons I won`t go into, T~S was even in his name for a while.
But was never a lack of trust. When it came time to swap the title he was right there to do it.
Still says it was the best few months of his life and only months he will probably ever own a Harley.

Anyways......as one way of saying thank you thinking of getting him a ride bell.
I, can`t think of a damn reason not to.
:dunno

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
DO IT!

To any one who doesn't like it, I say eff 'um.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
I had one on my Yamaha roadstar and then transferred it to the harley. It works too. The other night I heard it ringing and slowed down just as a coyote ran out in front of me. That has happened more than once.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
That would be a good subject for a new thread (or continue here)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I would think anyone on a bike can use help keeping the road gremlins at bay, regardless of make or model.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
No reason at all not to do it.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Never recall seeing a ride bell on anything but a Harley. For sure not on any crotch rockets.

Just got the GF`s nephew his.
His "not legally adopted" Dad rides an old Honda 750/4.
Both of them have treated me with nothing but the utmost respect since I started coming around. And then moved here permanently.
The Dad was instrumental in my getting T~S. Used his trailer and truck to haul her home. Was there to cover my back when I had all the cash and no clue who we were dealing with. Stored her at his place for a while. Had free run of his garage and tools until our garage was done.
Hell. For reasons I won`t go into, T~S was even in his name for a while.
But was never a lack of trust. When it came time to swap the title he was right there to do it.
Still says it was the best few months of his life and only months he will probably ever own a Harley.

Anyways......as one way of saying thank you thinking of getting him a ride bell.
I, can`t think of a damn reason not to.
:dunno
With all of the different bells there are, find one that has some meaning to both of you . :thumbsup :thumbsup

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Had one on my shadow. No reason not to get him one. We all can use all the help we can get.

·
old scoot coot
4,885 Posts
mine works i crashed my rk a couple of years ago. the bike had 7,000 dollars damage but that gremlin bell did't have a scratch on it.:what?

·
Older Than Dirt
47 Posts
It's a bell to help keep the Gremlins away from you (I think
they don't Like the sound!?)(Maybe makes their little Gremlin ears hurt
and it gives them loose bowels!?).
The Bell (or The Gremlins) don't care what kind of bike you ride!
It's a tradition.
Why Not?!
IT SHOULD BE AN UN-REQUESTED GIFT
Ride Safe

·
The Extreme Member
1,477 Posts
Hell I have 3 bells on my Electra-glide...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wonder what's the earliest anyone ever saw a bell. I never heard of them in the sixties, 70s, 80s or 90s. Now they're a tradition.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder what's the earliest anyone ever saw a bell. I never heard of them in the sixties, 70s, 80s or 90s. Now they're a tradition.
Had one given to me for my Shovel in the late 80`s. It`s now on T~S.
Am sure they were around before then. Just not as well known.

·
CRSO
346 Posts
I've ridden with the same group of folks for years now. You'll see everything from Harleys to Yamahas to Hondas...hell, I've even ridden my 'other bike' (a 2009 BMW R1200RT) with this group.

The first thing we do when we add a new rider (or bike) to the pack is do a 'safety inspection'...that includes looking for a ride bell. If they don't have one, regardless of the brand of bike, our first stop on the ride is a shop where we buy him/her one, and the ladies attach it to the bike.

Getting a bell isn't about Harleys...it's tradition with us...and I think having the girls in the group attach it is just because the guys like watching the ladies (all leathered up) bend over lol...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
864 Posts
I had one on my V-Star when i had a rather nasty get-off. 10 days in the hospital, totaled bike, but the bell and the Lord above pulled me through. I felt the bell had done its job and I buried it in the back yard. Got a new bell when I got my e-glide. Do what you want to do. Most guys won't care and the ones that do are usually tools anyway...

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
I never heard of one in the 60's or 70's. First time I heard of one was 2 years ago when someone gifted one to me.

Then I had to look it up to see all about it.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,290 Posts
The Gremlin Bell is for all rides. Wander around Rolling Thunder you will see anything and everything and guessing 75+% have them regardless of make.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts