Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

As I'm getting closer to my MSF course, I'm interested in getting some instructional videos and materials. Over several threads in the forum the "Ride Like A Pro" series has been mentioned and I have a few questions:

* Is that the quintessential instructional series?

* Is there a big difference between vol. 4 & vol. 5? (I saw vol. 4 on Amazon for $28 & vol. 5 for $65)

* Are there other instructional videos and/or materials what would be good for someone who's never ridden before?

As always, thanks in advance!!

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Check the ride like a pro website, I ordered my wife the beginner video from them and noticed the also had some package deals with the other videos.

There are probably others out there, but Ride Like a Pro is the one with the most recognition, and rightly so, they do a great job explaining and demonstrating things.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
If price is the difference between buying and not buying, go for the vol. IV. Whatever you get, don't just watch it, DO it. You do not need to set up a whole parking lot with cones. I keep a bag of squashed soda cans (they don't blow over and roll off) and the Ride like a pro. handbook in the garage. At LEAST monthly,I toss them in the saddlebag and go to an vacant business parking lot and decide which maneuvers I want to practice that day. Sometimes I practice for half an hour, sometimes only 10 minutes (you will get tired at first).
Build up to it, put your obstacles farther apart to start, and don't try the advanced stuff until you are ready. The most important thing to me is to remember to look where you want to go, not where you don't.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Agree with all above posts, friend lent me the cd, I bought it immediately alot of great tips really helped improved my riding. There are all kinds of packages on his web site. Check out u tube he has quick videos it'll give u an idea of what it's all about. Def good investment

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have volume 4, and agree with the above posts, you must practice! Plus it's a good excuse to get time in the saddle, "Honey, I have to practice, so I'm safe and you won't worry!" Usually, the older version get a price drop when the new one comes out.

It is not a series of discs, you don't have to buy each one, they all stand on their own. As info changes, and new, better techniques are developed, a new version comes out. I believe the main difference between 3 and 4 was adding clips of actual students making common mistakes during the training. Many people, in fact most are visual leathers, seeing it really can make thing clear.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Agree to all that was said, I would add that, in addition to the MSF and getting and watching the Ride Like a Pro video, try to find an in-person Ride Like a Pro course somewhere that is near you. The real advantage to that is, the instructors or this franchise are all former motor officers with lots of time in the saddle and you get one-on-one instant feedback when you go through the exercises. Likely, the instructor will have you go back through and do it again after pointing out where you can improve. That will increase your confidence and skills immeasurably.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
+15 for the Ride Like a Pro Series.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten that I bought one of the DVDs last fall right when riding season ended. I only watched a few minutes of it and was planning on finishing it when riding season was back so I could practice the exercises, but forgot! So now I'll have to find out where I put that thing.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
I've had 4&5, I loaned a friend one and my brother-in-law has the other one. There are lots of ways to do things, then there's the "Right"way. Motorman has been a motor officer trainer and taught humpteen thousand civilians. He knows his business, lots can be learned from his videos. :nod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts