Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know, OCC? Trailer queens, not practical "riding" bikes,, Senior and Junior drama, made for TV, blah blah blah. But I had a free weekend afternoon (a rarity once my sons ice hockey season starts) so my riding buddy and I saddled up and headed north to check out OCC.

Planning out the trip on Mapquest using the avoid highways and toll roads feature, we had a few possible routes to take, all with nice county and state highways that I knew would make for nice riding. The weather called for a decent morning and early afternoon with the likelihood of afternoon showers but so what. If we made it back before the rain great, if not oh well.

Took two hours to get there with a Dunkin Donuts stop for a warm cup of Joe and the roads and northern Sussex and Orange County scenery wasn't disappointing. I was kind of surprised to see so many people and bikes gathering in OCC's parking lot. I didn't realize it was such an attraction but I guess I should have. After all, everyone was basically doing the same thing I was.

I stepped inside the showroom thinking it would be OK but really, just a reason to get out and ride a bit. Turns out I was wrong. Once inside I have to say, seeing the many display model bikes up and close and in person really made me appreciate the workmanship and creativity that goes into their bikes. The other thing that got me was the tribute bikes. The messages, the support, and especially the shrines made out of those displays by people who visited from all over the country (and Canada and even the UK) who left their own personal mark via perhaps a cap, badge, patch and even a helmet.

The three most notable examples for me are the POW-MIA bike, the Fallen Heros bike, and the NYFD-911 bike. The masterfully done paintwork (I know, not an OCC person but a contracted painter like Nubs), the handcrafted parts of the bike like the fire hydrant carburetor, the oxygen tank oil tank, the 7.62 cal ammo box saddlebags, claymores on rear fender, graphics with the POW-MIA message, the Vietnam War Memorial wall depicted on the rear fender, barbed wire wheels. These were working, functional, high art pieces that send a powerful tribute message to anyone who sees them. I was really awestruck.

I stopped watching the show years ago when the two split but there were more than a few bikes in the showroom that I remember them building. To see them there in person was very cool.

Say what you want about the show, the people, even the practicality of their bikes, but its hard to argue against their creativity and sense of citizenship.

On another lighter note, I remember an episode when Junior and Senior were still together and they had a bike build off between them for some county fair, or sturgis, cant remember what it was. Junior did his usualy amazing theme, modern chopper and senior did an old school bobber styled ride called the Greenie. I remember thinking how much I like that Greenie, very sedate and underdone by OCC standards but actually something you would want to ride. They had one on the floor but sadly, they changed a few things that made it less appealing to me. They replaced the fron with a much steeper raked, blacked out springer system, did floorboards instead of the original pegs, cut the rear fender to half what it originally was. Funny thing is the display plaque showd the original version which I still like much better.

If you are within a few hour ride I can definitely recommend a day trip. There is also a place a block or two away that was a HUGE biker hangout with tons of bikes for sale. Can't remember the name but it looked cool. Didn't stop because by the time we were leaving to head home the skies were threatening and indeed, we did get rained on a little. But it was a great day trip and I'm glad I went there.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
;Hey man, sounds like a real interesting day to me! If I'm ever up around them parts I'll prolly swing by too.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Been there twice myself Natty. The ride alone is worth it. Some of the tribute bikes are very cool.. Was the new restaurant open or hasn't it opened yet?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
It'll likely be even cooler and more "realistic" (if possible) when the cafe' opens.
For me, it's about 2 hours, and it's a good place for a destination, ust for a place to ride to.

·
Just Riding Around!
122 Posts
If you get back that way again, there's a really great new museum in Newburgh. You were about 5 minutes from there. It's called Motorcyclepedia. It's at 250 Lake street. If you want to see some great bikes with imagination and skill in the builds, that's the place to go. Here's a link to their site:

About us

For the $10 admission, it's all day long fun!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The restaurant/bar wasn't open but there were some instruments on the band stage so maybe it is open for business, just wasn't open in the middle of the day. Maybe just an evening thing?

BKMAX...yea, I heard one of the workers in the OCC store telling another customer about that. I definitely plan on making the ride there again to check that out as well as that large biker hangout down the street from OCC. It was something like Mulrooneys, something like that.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If you get back that way again, there's a really great new museum in Newburgh. You were about 5 minutes from there. It's called Motorcyclepedia. It's at 250 Lake street. If you want to see some great bikes with imagination and skill in the builds, that's the place to go. Here's a link to their site:

About us

I gotta see that......Maybe we can set something up next spring Natty, and get some members from the forum to all meet there. I can grab PastorJeff and Wingnut for starters.....:thumb

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gotta see that......Maybe we can set something up next spring Natty, and get some members from the forum to all meet there. I can grab PastorJeff and Wingnut for starters.....:thumb
Sounds like a plan Dave :thumbsup .

·
Just Riding Around!
122 Posts
I was wondering what biker hang out you were talking about. LOL, it's a dealer - Moroney's H-D. It's around the corner. Take a right at the main intersection (by Barnes and Nobles) and go about a mile or so, maybe a little less. It's on your right.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, yup, that's it! I thought it was a dealer of some sort but honestly don't recall seeing a HD sign. There was a LOT of people hanging out there Saturday. Maybe they had a group ride or something scheduled that day?

As for pics, my phone takes the worlds crappiest pics ( 4 year old blackberry ) so I don't even bother taking any. That should change real soon though, my boss just ordered me a new iPhone 5 last week.

Natty
"if everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." General George S. Patton

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
A buddy and I took that little ride about a month ago. We used routes 206 and 94 to get there. It was a cool day, but not uncomfortable. The ride was the best part of the day. OCC was interesting. Like Natty said, The 'museum' part in the front of the building has a lot of the theme bikes. Most of them are not the style that I would ride, but it was fun to actually see them in person. I have to admit that I think they did a better job than what it looks like on their tv drama.

You can go through a door in the back of the showroom where there's a darkened room with a whole wall of tinted glass. From there you look out into the shop. The same one that you see on the tv show. The day we were there Sr. and Rick were in the shop. While they didn't come out to talk to us, they each at least gave us a friendly wave and a smile.

We also stopped at Marony's. It was a weekday so there weren't many people there. We talked to a sales guy for a few minutes. He knew we weren't prospective buyers but still spent time with us and was quite informative and accommodating.

It turned into a 300 mile day with a some nice back road cruising.

Dave63: I'd be up for a group meet next spring. Good idea!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Duece, you passed right by me. I live a couple blocks in from rt. 206 about 15 minutes from Rt. 94.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I saw those guys in Spokane, WA a few years ago before all the problems within the family. I don't know how much of the fabrication those guys do, and I really don't care, but the tribute bikes were really cool. And they were works of art. Paul Jr. and Mikey addressed a rather large crowd of probably a thousand fans, and they were very impresive. They were very well spoken, down to earth and void of any pretense or inflated egos. They just seemed like a couple of good guys that you could hang with. Yeah, yeah, the show's a little over the top, but they're trying to make a buck too.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Let me know. Sounds like a great plan.

I owe Dave and Natty; beers or diet soda!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

About us

I can vouch for the museum also. went there this passed spring with a group I ride with in No. Jersey. Great place, just wish I had more time there that day... They have a great Indian collection as well as Harley. Dave count me in for a forum ride/ meet and great. That would be awsome!!!

·
IAFF local 845
1,909 Posts
Sounds like a cool day... I'd take that ride just for curiosity sake if nothing else. I do admire the quality of their bikes even if they're mostly not rideable. All the drama... well that's just TV. I'd definitely like to see the tribute bikes in person. Throw in 300 miles and a lunch stop and it sounds like a perfect day!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts