Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Try'n to behave
5,967 Posts
How high is the bridge? Any chance he hit the water and lived?

Sucks big time! Hope they find him (alive) and bring peace to his family.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it is a sad situation, that bridge at the point he went over is over 135 ft from the water. I hope they find him, he had a family.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,488 Posts
Hitting water from a 135 foot fall is like hitting concrete. Not good.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wow! I had visions of this while riding over the Captree Bridge yesterday. The wind coming off the ocean was probably 30 knots. Add to that my forward speed of about 60 mph when I got to the bridge and it made for a very unpleasant riding and visions of going over the sida. So much so that instead of attempting to do what I was thinking of doing, take a ride along Ocean Parkway which would have required crossing a second bridge, I turned around and went home.

If you scroll to the 5:10 point in this video you'll see what I'm talking about. And if you scroll to the 10:30 point you'll shortly see a guy on a sport bike that apparently didn't share my concern, maybe because we now had the wind to our back at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ps4lcDK2zU

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Over last ten years a lot of new bridges have been built over rivers , they no longer have the whole thing made out of big iron structure that goes up in the air, just built on giant I-beams and the guard rails are only about three feet tall and solid concrete..I often though it wouldn't take much to send a rider over the top of them....I have thought of it happening.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Over last ten years a lot of new bridges have been built over rivers , they no longer have the whole thing made out of big iron structure that goes up in the air, just built on giant I-beams and the guard rails are only about three feet tall and solid concrete..I often though it wouldn't take much to send a rider over the top of them....I have thought of it happening.
Several riders have been killed around here, after hitting the rail and falling off of the bridge .

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the way this bridge is built giant concrete I beams and not much on the sides maybe 3-4 ft of wall. And there is only one lane going in each direction, when the wind blows going over the top it is damn scary.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Last report I read said the rider was 26 years old. It's tragic no matter the age but especially so at such a young age.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Not to be a downer and too graphic, but my brother took his own life with a dive off the Golden Gate. Coroner told me the same thing...it's like hitting concrete and your organs explode. Sad, that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am sorry to hear of that Ronnie, and your not a downer, it is a sad thing when something happens like that to a family. A brother of a good friend of mine committed suicide 2 days before this past Christmas. No warning, nothing.

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
Wow! I had visions of this while riding over the Captree Bridge yesterday. The wind coming off the ocean was probably 30 knots. Add to that my forward speed of about 60 mph when I got to the bridge and it made for a very unpleasant riding and visions of going over the sida. So much so that instead of attempting to do what I was thinking of doing, take a ride along Ocean Parkway which would have required crossing a second bridge, I turned around and went home.

Check for a PM I sent you.

·
Registered
20 Posts

If you scroll to the 5:10 point in this video you'll see what I'm talking about. And if you scroll to the 10:30 point you'll shortly see a guy on a sport bike that apparently didn't share my concern, maybe because we now had the wind to our back at that point.

I don't know which I hate more, high bridges or wind. Putting them together does not make for a fun ride!
Running along the Ocean Parkway was one of my favorite things to do when I lived on L.I.. Only road I have ever gone w.o.t. on a bike. Might even be the only thing I miss about the Island! Hope you can get a video of that ride up soon.
WF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts