Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I will be taking off for San Diego, CA tomorrow AM;approximately 1500 miles. Our plan is to roll into Diego Saturday afternoon.
Anyway, I really don't ride my bike unless I am getting a few 1000 miles under my belt and thought it would be nice to be able to talk instead of screaming while rolling down the road.
Both the wife and I wear half-helmets, so that had the be a factor. Started doing some research and most positive threads surrounded the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 headsets. This is not a full review of the product, but rather a quick first impression.
Ordered the set Monday afternoon (and had it overnighted) to ensure it would arrive before our departure on Thursday. Arrived Tuesday afternoon and I installed the brackets on our helmets that evening. Took a quick spin down the interstate to see how the units would work at normal speeds; thoroughly impressed. I should note that we choose to use our own "ear buds" instead of the speakers provided. Nothing wrong with the speakers, however I think the provided set would be better suited for a full face helmet.
After we return from our trip I'll post my review.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Look forward to your observations on how they work for you.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Have a fun trip. Are you gonna take Rt 66 ?

·
Registered
532 Posts
How did you use your own ear bugs? Did you clip the speakers off and splice in the ear buds?

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I too look forward to a report on how you like them. The wife is requesting the same thing.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
They make half helmets with the speaker pockets in the Y straps. I know Z1R, LS2 and scorpion, all have a half that works well, they also make velcro pockets that fit to most all half helmets and just velcro to the Y strap. Just a little info for you and any others who may be loking for a good comm setup.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wife and I used these on our open face helmets during our trip to California; round trip 3500 miles.

The quality of the product is very solid. The sound is crisp and easily heard. The only mechanical issue that we encountered was the small velcro pad that is attached to the mic released; it became gooey and allowed the velcro to separate from the mic. This was easily fixed with a small dab of Super Glue.

The only other issue I could report is depending on where my wife positioned her head the mic would pick up wind noise. Basically if she was directly behind my helmet we were fine, but outside that little area her mic would broadcast wind; not fun. Most often she would not be directly my helmet (so she could see) and we determined this would be easily addressed wit ha full face helmet.

Bottom line, I would HIGHLY recommend this unit if you're looking for Rider-to-Passenger communications. I have yet to use these for Rider to Rider, but I have no doubt they will work without issue.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
Take the foam ball off the mike it may be 2 sided put some tape over the side away from lips and mark it.

Works for us in all but the strongest headwinds at hi way speeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts