Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be riding from from South Jersey to the Shenandoah, VA area next weekend, probably the Thursday before Memorial Day leaving around rush hour unfortunately, unless I can get out of work a bit early.

I don't generally even like driving around the 95 area between DE & Baltimore, but it just seems like the opportunity to ride in Shenandoah area might make it worth dealing with all the nonsense around Baltimore & 695.

Just wondering if anyone that has ridden in that area can give me any idea of just how bad it is going through there on a bike. I refuse to go near DC and consider Baltimore to be only marginally better. Planning on heading down 95 -> 695 W to 70 then 340 and onto what should be some good roads there.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The outer loop is what I had planned trying, but hadn't thought about 30 to 15. That's a good idea, I'll take a look at that.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,214 Posts
Plus Memorial Weekend in DC there will be Rolling Thunder. It is a great time but one big traffic Jam if you are just looking to pass by. 30 to 15 is a great route but maybe start heading south once you get a bit more west. 81 has a bunch of trucks but overall not a bad road, and a quick way. The Luray Caverns are pretty cool and on the Norther side of Skyline drive, that turns into the BRP around Waynesboro

·
Registered
336 Posts
Even better, take 30 through PA and cut down 15 near Gettysburg.

Dont know how far out of the way it would be for you, but that is the way I (have gone), would go. A couple years ago the wife and I went from Allentown Pa to Winchester Va to ride the Skyline drive. Rather than take the Interstates all the way down, we went out old 22 then went down 15 through Gettysburg, and Frederick, then 340 over to Winchester, Spent the night there before riding going down to the Skyline Drive the next day. 15 is 4 lane for most part, a good road, places to stop, and not a lot of traffic. Enjoy your trip and be safe!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts