Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, so i will try to relate my issue here as best as I can... and don't laugh cuz this might sound strange :D

Just purchased a new bike for myself, a 2009 Dyna Super Glide after owning a Sportster for years. Love the bike, love the look and sound and handling. But... for some reason I'm just not as comfortable on it as I think I should be. Let me try and specify:

~ first of all, they have standard Harley forward controls installed, which I prefer. but, for some reason, my feet / legs have this constant feeling of "slipping" off the pegs. Does this make any sense at all? Like, I constantly have to almost "grip" the bike with my legs/knees in order for it to seem like it won't slip. In other words, i CANNOT relax my legs, my knees always want to move away from the bike. This isn't something that happened on my Sportster when I had forward controls installed. I could pretty much completely relax my legs and they would stay where they were.

~ The left hand shifter peg sort of feels like it's too far to the right, and my foot has to sort of reach inwards and up in order to catch it. Twice now I've gone to shift and missed. hahah Also never happened on the Sporty.

~ I feel like I'm reaching forward. And therefore I get this fatigue kinna where my shoulders meet my neck. This to me indicates that I should get new bars, but not sure.

Has anyone else run across these issues with comfort? And what ended up being the solution? Any tips anyone can offer would be fantastic!! :D

·
Just Ride
3,256 Posts
Change to mid controls or put a reach seat on.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
switch blade pegs or some with heel rest might help try pull back risers or at least see if they will work with out adding cables and everything for new bars might be cheaper seat with rider back rest and how long have you had the superglide might just need to get used to it if you had your sporty for years

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I agree with the new pegs. Also, you might try adjusting your backrest forward a little bit. It makes reaching the handlebars more comfortable. No backrest? You need to get one. ?you can try rotating your handlebars up and down, they'll come a little closer to you.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Your bike has the same buckhorns mine has. I'm 5'8" and get that same feeling between my shoulders at neck level. I'm getting some taller bars.

As for your legs, I have mids but my highway pegs are great. I would look at a deeper seat with more back support.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Are they H-D forward control or aftermarket? Could make a difference. You also don't say how long your legs are. I put forward controls on my -08 FXDL but the pegs were too far away. The result was exactly as you describe - feet sliding off the pegs. Solved it by fitting kick-back plates and ISO-pegs with heel rests. Since then H-D introduced their own reduced reach kit for forward controls which would be preferable - better brake rod. Fitted the ISO gear change pedal at the same time - I think it's a bit longer as it solved that problem too.
I also get the feeling I'm leaning forward a bit too far - fingers feel stretched after an hour or two. Need about an inch more pull-back but can't be bothered to change cables, brake lines etc. so I tolerate it for now. Good excuse to stop for coffee and a bun now and again. Risers might be your best way to go.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are they H-D forward control or aftermarket? Could make a difference. You also don't say how long your legs are. I put forward controls on my -08 FXDL but the pegs were too far away. The result was exactly as you describe - feet sliding off the pegs. Solved it by fitting kick-back plates and ISO-pegs with heel rests. Since then H-D introduced their own reduced reach kit for forward controls which would be preferable - better brake rod. Fitted the ISO gear change pedal at the same time - I think it's a bit longer as it solved that problem too.
I also get the feeling I'm leaning forward a bit too far - fingers feel stretched after an hour or two. Need about an inch more pull-back but can't be bothered to change cables, brake lines etc. so I tolerate it for now. Good excuse to stop for coffee and a bun now and again. Risers might be your best way to go.
Yeah man you sound like you're in roughly the same boat as I. I'm 5'8" - 5'9", I have the Harley forward controls that came on the bike. My pant size is 34-30... so 30" inseam. I've been reading about online, and I've heard that the reduced reach controls are helping alot of folks with this issue. I may look into that. But that of course won't solve the whole reaching issue.

It's EXACTLY how you describe- fingers get tired after a bit of riding. I seriously need about 1-2 inches towards me and it would solve the problem. The seat I absolutely love... it's so comfy. I'd hate to change it. But i do think the right seat would push me up a bit. Yunno, i'm not even sure i would need to change out the cables for 1-2 inches of difference. Leastways, I HOPE not. Cuz now you're talkin $$.

I don't know... I've ridden it quite a few miles now, and it's not unbearable for half hour rides. But going an hour or two, i'm quite sure it would get fatiguing REALLY quick. But we'll see. I'm going to stick it out a bit longer and see if i don't get used to it. The controls though, i might hafta look into the reduced reach immediately. I constantly feel like i need to hold my knees inwards. If I relax them, they move away from the bike, which in turn moves my feet off the pegs. SO irritating! haha

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your bike has the same buckhorns mine has. I'm 5'8" and get that same feeling between my shoulders at neck level. I'm getting some taller bars.

As for your legs, I have mids but my highway pegs are great. I would look at a deeper seat with more back support.

Nice!! yup I bet you're experiencing exactly what I am. If you get the taller bars anytime soon, let me know how that works out for you. I'm not really interested in APES, per se, but sh1t, if they solve the problem, i'm game to try anything.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've been trying to get used to the stock bars on my street glide. After this past weekend's start to the season, I'm over it. 12+ hours in the saddle can do that. The bars gotta go! So just passing this on for reference http://www.wild1inc.com/

Some decent info on bar fitment. And quality parts. Have seen several threads on forum members using these bars. Sporty, Dyna, ST, FLH.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Fit is important. If your feet, ass, and hands aren't where they're suppose to be, riding becomes a chore after a while.

I had an '03 Superglide. Could not get comfortable on it. Forward controls always felt like they were in the wrong position. Previous owner had a solo Corbin seat on it which looked great but it was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on. The bars were too far forward and there were just too many things just didn't fit me. Sat on a Softail Custom at the dealer one day and I knew in a minute the bike fit perfectly. Took it for a test ride and traded the Dyna in that day. I can ride for hundreds of miles now and just keep going with no changes needed.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I've been trying to get used to the stock bars on my street glide. After this past weekend's start to the season, I'm over it. 12+ hours in the saddle can do that. The bars gotta go! So just passing this on for reference Wild 1 Chubby Handlebars.

Some decent info on bar fitment. And quality parts. Have seen several threads on forum members using these bars. Sporty, Dyna, ST, FLH.
I lasted less than a month with the stock FLHXS bars. I felt like I was riding a crotch rocket with them and I'm only 5'8.

I went with the 12" Wild One's Chuby and really like them.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Stock buckhorn bars SUCK! I swapped mine out for taller risers with older model sport bars. That was fine till I got a taller seat. Now I've been pondering getting something a bit taller.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Yunno, i'm not even sure i would need to change out the cables for 1-2 inches of difference. Leastways, I HOPE not. Cuz now you're talkin $$.
I nearly tried a pair of MoCo bars which seemed to be close to the stock ones but with a little more pull-back but the cables etc needed to be extended so I left it.
Does anyone know the part number of any bars that would fit a 2008 FXDL and give just an inch more pull-back but would not need extended cables?
Please don't waste your time recommending aftermarket bars because most of them won't be available over here. Oh, and don't forget the FXDL already has tall risers so that's not a solution either :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I nearly tried a pair of MoCo bars which seemed to be close to the stock ones but with a little more pull-back but the cables etc needed to be extended so I left it.
Does anyone know the part number of any bars that would fit a 2008 FXDL and give just an inch more pull-back but would not need extended cables?
Please don't waste your time recommending aftermarket bars because most of them won't be available over here. Oh, and don't forget the FXDL already has tall risers so that's not a solution either :(
They won't ship to the UK? Like, at all?

·
239 Posts
The dealers have demo seats. I just tried a couple before dropping a bunch on a tall boy seat. I knew when I bought it it was as close as I could get to fitting with out going for a custom made seat. Try a couple of them before you make up your mind to add bars and controls and so forth.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree with Jake on this. The quickest, easiest and possibly least expensive thing to try is the seat. I had the same problem on my '11 Wide Glide. Love the stock bars, but wished they were back about an inch. And the foot controls were too much of a stretch. Was about to drop some bucks on risers and different mounts for the forwards, but went to a local upholstery shop first.

They added some foam to the rear of the drivers portion of the seat and refit the cover. Put me enough forward that I am quite comfortable w/o risers etc. Cost a whopping $30!
That was four years ago and the foam has never flattened out. Just make sure they use quality foam.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts