Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
My buddy and I would like to be able to talk as we ride. It would be nice to be able to say....."hey let's go back there" or "we just missed our turn" etc. We both just use the old style flip phones.....no Blue Tooth [whatever that is... :) ] Is there some wireless system we can use on our bikes.......limited range would be fine..100 yds or so. I guess it would have to be like a two way radio.? Is there something out there........?
Thanks........Colt.45

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sena
Scala
Chatter Box.....to name a few

lots of versions..... Sena can be paired with other manufacturers, but not so sure other manufacturers will pair with a cross brand.

Reactions: 7even

·
Registered
556 Posts
yea since you have a computer, google wireless motorcycle communication. You will find more information than you can digest.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RideADyna
Hmmmmmmm, seems most of it is used with a Bluetooth.........? No clue what that is [a telephone of some kind I reckon.?] We just need a stand alone bike to bike intercom system

Colt.45

·
Registered
545 Posts
Scala Rider should work well. If you buy the Power set they come already paired so all you have to do is charge them up, mount the speaker kits in your helmets, plug in and go. Range is advertised at 1.5 miles so your 100 yards would be more than covered.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Buy an Ultra and use the CB.....works great.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
RideADyna
Hmmmmmmm, seems most of it is used with a Bluetooth.........? No clue what that is [a telephone of some kind I reckon.?] We just need a stand alone bike to bike intercom system

Colt.45
I'll bite, although I have very little knowledge of the how it works that hasn't sopped me in the past.

Bluetooth is an internal electronic part of many new comm devices. Look for Bluetooth capable devices if you go this way. Sena, Chatterbox and other devices mentioned so far are communicators built specifically with Bluetooth in mind.

It's like a walkie talkie that can be hooked wirelessly to other devices like Cell Phones that also have "Bluetooth" capability. If you have two that are "Paired" or tuned into each other you can talk back and forth, usually Voice Activated.

There are also "Base Units" that can be clipped on your bike and I think MP3 players without Bluetooth can be plugged into this so you can hear the music in your Bluetooth headset but I'm getting way out there on my knowledge of these.

J&M makes a handlebar mounted CB with headsets but this is wired like the Harley CBs kind of.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey all
My buddy and I would like to be able to talk as we ride. It would be nice to be able to say....."hey let's go back there" or "we just missed our turn" etc. We both just use the old style flip phones.....no Blue Tooth [whatever that is... :) ] Is there some wireless system we can use on our bikes.......limited range would be fine..100 yds or so. I guess it would have to be like a two way radio.? Is there something out there........?
Thanks........Colt.45
Go to Toys r Us and get a set of GI Joe Walkie Talkies . under 10 bucks . They work for 100yds and you can use a ear plug too .

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Regarding Bluetooth.
Different types of wireless communication devices, cell phone, CB, walkie-talkies all use different languages when communicating.
Meaning a different sort of translation from your voice to the transmitted signal to the other paired device then back to the your voice in your Buddies.
Just think of Bluetooth as a different electronic language.

Pairing is setting up 2 similar/same devices so they are able to communicate back and forth. Thereby enabling you and your Friend to talk without interference from other wireless devices.
Or others in range being able to hear your conversation. <There are exceptions.

That is a real rough explanation. But hopefully took a little mud out of the water.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sena works great. My wife and I communicate this way whenever we ride.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oldrider
Does that require using a cell phone? That is what we are trying to avoid.

Thunder Struck
But it seems that any thing "Bluetooth" also uses a cell phone........correct?

Webco 2
Will that really work ok?

Thanks all.........Colt

·
Banned
71 Posts
Oldrider

Thunder Struck

Webco 2

Thanks all.........Colt
Have friends that used them, they liked how it worked .

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Oldrider

Thunder Struck

Webco 2

Thanks all.........Colt
No

No

Yes

You're welcome.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
No

No

Yes

You're welcome.
:laugh
What MADMACK said.

Cellphones, newer, are Bluetooth capable. It is an additional feature. But not necessary for normal phone to phone calls.

Example. If you buy a separate device for your cage that takes advantage of a cellphones hands free ability.
Your phone communicates with it via Bluetooth.
But the phone is still sending and receiving in it`s normal fashion when doing the incoming/outgoing calls. From phone to cell tower and back.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys
I am an electronics dummy and a cell phone dummy. What I am looking for is a 'Stand alone' comm system............one that does not require a cell phone of any kind. My old fashion flip phone will be in my saddle bag........turned off. Is this Sena etc. that kind of system...........[ a stand alone, no phone required]...?
Thanks again........Colt.45

·
Registered
237 Posts
We bought Senas about three months ago. It is stand alone but can be paired with a cell phone. I can listen to my music through my cell phone if I want. Saying this, it is a stand alone system and my wife and love being able to talk to each other on rides. Went with a friend a couple of weeks back and we paired our Senas together and it was great being able to talk to another rider.

Pastor Jeff

Reactions: Colt.45

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pastorjeff
Thank you Sir,that's what I need to know.The more I read and the more responces I read the more I was confused......:smile
Colt.45

1 - 20 of 33 Posts