Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, just got home from a 750 mile ride and found out the hard way I need a new rain suit. Any opinions that I should read? Also, friend and ol'lady hit a deer. Were wearing t-shirts and jeans. Any suggestions on WARM weather jackets?
Thanx for the advice in advance. I know someone will have good ideas where to start research.:smile

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
HD has a decent rainsuit, but they are proud of them suckers. You can probably get the same suit at a place like Academy or Bass Pro for half as much.
The jacket situation, HD has a mesh jacket with pockets of shoulder and elbow armor that will help a lot if you have to hit the ground. They are porous and not at all uncomfortable on a hot day as long as you're running down the highway. they do get a bit toasty in slow traffic on a hot day.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
How did your friends make out of the crash? Are they OK?

KD's suggestions on gear are spot on. Harley gear is not cheap. Probably more expensive than it has to be. But I've been pleased with the quality of just about all of their gear so far. I'm sure some aftermarket gear is just as good for less money, and some quality aftermarket gear is just as expensive, but I don't want to waste my money trying to find out if it's "just as good."

--

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
How did your friends make out of the crash? Are they OK?

KD's suggestions on gear are spot on. Harley gear is not cheap. Probably more expensive than it has to be. But I've been pleased with the quality of just about all of their gear so far. I'm sure some aftermarket gear is just as good for less money, and some quality aftermarket gear is just as expensive, but I don't want to waste my money trying to find out if it's "just as good."

--
:thumbsup on the HD Hi-Viz rainsuit. Got mine little over a year ago, going price then was $183 or $185, talked them into giving a 15% discount but I had to go back the next regularly scheduled HOG meeting cause they gave the HOG members 15% off on clothing and they gave me the 15% off also--thank God I didn't have to join HOG or attend the meeting. So far the only time I seriously needed the rainsuit was returning home from C3. Did a good job and really makes you a lot more visible but I need to do something to tighten up the neck a bit cause it adjusts but not enough for my skinny little neck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ya man sorry to hear about your friends. Will be interesting to really see what people are wearing. I insist on jeans and at least a t-shirt as opposed to a tank top. My wife has asked many times to wear shorts and a tank top. In all reality a t-shirt and jeans are not going to protect anything in a crash but I just cant bring myself to let her wear shorts. I have been really thinking about more protective gear also. I know there is Kevlar gear .....even jeans and flannel shirts. ( very pricey ). I also insist on our half helmets but there again a full face would be way more protective. Some of the gear is so restrictive in the warm weather and seems to almost defeat the reason for being on a bike in the first place. In the cooler weather having a jacket on is not a problem and is almost relieving to finally put more protective clothes on. Maybe some day I will figure out a happy medium. As far as rain gear we use Harley gear. However some of the higher end Kevlar gear has multiple liners for colder weather and rainy weather also.( extremely expensive ). I will eventually switch to this gear when I have some expendable funds ! Hope your friends are doing ok.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
I have a joe rocket mesh jacket. Will wear it when it's below 60. Could wear it in the summer, but I don't.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Yeah, I went through a couple cheapy rain suits fast. Finally decided on the HD Hi Vis, suit. I've used it several times, always keeps me dry, and very visible.

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
Yeah, I went through a couple cheapy rain suits fast. Finally decided on the HD Hi Vis, suit. I've used it several times, always keeps me dry, and very visible.

If you want to be visible I've got a green vest I'd recommend... :know

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
If you want to be visible I've got a green vest I'd recommend... :know

Hahahahahahahaha! Hahahahahahahaha!

:rollin

--

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
You need to read product descriptions until your eyes cross to find what is available and what fits your needs. I have a Nelson-Rigg AX7 rain suit. Pro's; 17" zippers on legs makes going on easy, bib style pants that can't sag under my belly, lots of pockets, zipper under velcro flap. velcro cuffs, works excellent as outer layer on very cold days. Con's. It does not pack down very small,and kind of warm on hot days. I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with full (removable) armor that is track rated. Has a rain proof removable inner that works like a windbreaker/jacket by itself. adjustable at wrist & elbows. Kind of heavy due to the armor, but I can wear it without the liner into the mid 70's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are home. Lots of road rash and a few broken bones. Wife won't be able to walk for a few weeks due to tib/fib fracture. GLAD to be alive! Thanks for askin'

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
They are home. Lots of road rash and a few broken bones. Wife won't be able to walk for a few weeks due to tib/fib fracture. GLAD to be alive! Thanks for askin'

Wow! That's tough. Please give them my best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

--

·
Registered
23 Posts
Been riding as much as possible last few months and have been suffering 5 hours in with what I call old man ass.. Hot, sweaty, hair pulling and in the sac might be fun, but on the bike gets to be toturture... Next week my lady and I plan on 7 days with the north east tip of Nova Scotia as our U-Turn spot. Looked for a week or three on what to wear for that trip and picked up a pair of Tourmaster Venture Air pants, All I can say is wow... Crazy comfortable, Safer than jeans, and has a waterproof liner...

Will report back with my level of success but Im confident that these pants will freeking rock..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts