Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your experiences?

I once had the unfortunate chance to ride my '03 VRSCA in horrible fog, rain and gasoline from a wreck on a road with no shoulders and deep ditches on either side. With nowhere to stop I had to go on until the road got safer. The fog cleared before that happened. It was the most white-knuckled riding experience I've ever had.

I asked this next door and want to know what you all have to share as well.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
My answer and my strategy would be totally different if I was the only vehicle on the road. I'd probably just stop.

But, every time I've ridden or driven a car in very heavy fog, there was always some fool who wanted to go at nearly normal speed, and I'd be sure and let him, and then follow him close enough to be able to tell if he crashed into something.

I'd sure be using my emergency flashers to keep from being run over.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Apart from the obvious of idiots going too fast, the main thing on a bike is your visor / goggles / glasses, they get fogged up only you think it's "the fog" . Extreme caution eyes, ears and mirrors. Always amazes me it's the idiots in the grey / silver vehicles that don't use their lights

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Worst fog I've encountered on two wheels was riding across Ohio on I-80, at night, in early September, I think it was '94. I followed a semitrailer, keeping as much distance as I dared - and continually prayed that some idiot wouldn't come up and asspack me in the process.

Fog sucks because there is no good solution - you don't want to stop, even at the bottom of the exit ramp - I ended up riding through it all the way to Youngstown. And windshields/visors are useless. I was standing half the time, so I could see OVER my windshield, my glasses hanging from between my teeth.

Worst fog on four wheels was two years ago - driving across western WI on Highway 11, on my way from my IA home to South Beloit, IL. Had gone up 151 to the state line, wasn't too bad but then it got dark... and the "soup" was so thick I could just barely make out the white line on the pavement JUST above my front fender. Talk about nerve-wracking! What was normally a 2 hour drive took 5.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
The Youngstown area and south of there has always been a bad area for fog. Back in the late 70's and early 80's I worked in that area and early morning riding was a test of will and nerves.

The worst fog I ever rode in was in Louisiana. Add not being familiar with the roads to the mix and I was looking for a place to hole up.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Last year I was on a day trip to Montauk point with one other bike. We had decent weather the whole way there. On the return trip a heavy fog rolled in and as 88b stated no matter the form of eye protection it will fog up to the point of not being able to see. I was forced to remove my visor and prescription glasses in order to continue riding. Well the fog was so thick that a top speed of 20 was pushing it. That's when I start to make out headlights up ahead but they are not moving so I slowed down even further when I realized why the car was stopped. In the road in the oncoming lane. 4 deer were crossing the street walking at a pace that would make an 80 year old seem fast! When they were directly in front of me in my lane and not silhouetted by the headlights of the stopped car they became invisible. That's when we decided to find the very next hotel even though we were less than an hour away from home. We told the guy at the motel why we were staying and in the morning we paid our bill and were on our way. We later found out through the internet that this fine gentleman deeply discounted our stay. There are still some good people around.

·
Registered
284 Posts
"Lovie" and I were with friends at the Thunder in the Valley weekend in Johnstown, PA a few years ago. Our hotel was in Latrobe though making the nightly ride 30 miles through the mountains.
On this night there was BAD fog. We were pecking along at 15 mph. You just couldn't see and we were getting cramps in our hands from holding on tight. We're thinking "Great. How could this ride get worse."
Suddenly the fog clears and we're surrounded by deer! There must have been 15 or so of them. We get past the deer and back into the pea soup fog again. Now I'm double worried. Here I am in thick fog with deer hiding in it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts