Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find out if any given state has laws/rules that cover if a motorcycle can ride on the shoulder of the road in gridlock traffic? I have heard that in CA, a motorcycle can due to the bike possibly overheating in say, Los Angeles bumper to bumper traffic. I'm mainly looking for Virginia.

·
Super Moderator
12,740 Posts
Lane sharing is legal in CA only. I do not know of any state that allows "shoulder" riding. I know it's tempting, but the shoulders always have loose gravel, car parts, fluids, potholes and other vehicles... I wouldn't want to tempt that.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I dont think using the shoulder is legal it's kinda reserved for cops and emergency stops. But lane splitting going between cars on a multi lane is legalin california last I heard. Might just do a search on "lane splitting"

·
Git 'er done
400 Posts
American Iron magazine has links to the dmv motorcycle section for each state.

Here is Virginia:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/

I know it's not the "answer" you are looking for, but it's in the right direction!

·
Registered
151 Posts
There is a place on I-5 north as you get into the middle of Tacoma WA. The exit to highway 16 goes form 3 lanes to one inside of a 1/4 mile.

The backup can be a mile or longer

I take the should everyday about 3pm and wave at the cops as I go by them.

If the idiots that make the roads cant figure out that several 100 cages cant funnel down to one lane, then its every rider for themselves.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lane sharing is legal in CA only. I do not know of any state that allows "shoulder" riding. I know it's tempting, but the shoulders always have loose gravel, car parts, fluids, potholes and other vehicles... I wouldn't want to tempt that.
I agree. Looks to me that a lot of the trash from the road ends up on the shoulder.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I agree. Looks to me that a lot of the trash from the road ends up on the shoulder.
You tell em HT thats where we graze our chickens down here.

specially when the water is high

·
What?
3,256 Posts
My wife was tellin' me the other day as she was stuck in traffic in the metroplex that a kid on a rice burner decided he wasn't going to wait. He passed her on the shoulder just about the time a guy two cars up was getting out of his car to stretch his legs. the kid missed the door by inches. I know I wouldn't do it.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
LMAO! Yeah, and when that happens you need a pirogue to ride the shoulder.

Bob
Not to mention the reserved parking spaces needed for fishing round all the culverts.

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:hidesbehind haha.. ok ok.. i get the picture.. all excellent points.. I guess using the shoulder isnt the greatest idea. The info about lane splitting was more what i was looking for, but with a bike as big as mine, seems kinda moot anyway.. thanks to all for setting me straight.. I'll just shut off the engine and jam to my XM..

·
Banned
655 Posts
Please don't ride on the shoulder. You will encounter trash, nails, gravel and who knows what. Also - a few years back there was a story about someone sitting in traffic in his cage - got mad at a biker and opened his door on him. Hurt the biker bad.

No question is silly or stupid. Everyday you ride - you learn. Every biker you talk to - you learn. So don't feel bad about asking - because we want you safe on the road.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think this sounds weird but... It's not that it's legal to lane split in California, but that it isn't illegal. Does that make sense??? There isn't any laws on the books that say you can't. Same here in Ohio but nobody seems to do it here as much as you see it done on the left coast.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not to mention the reserved parking spaces needed for fishing round all the culverts.
I hear you. Round here when the Bayou(Lafourche) gets high the shad take to the cane field ditches. Crawfishermen pull over to dip-net them for bait in their traps.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here: Lane splitting = OK ----- Shoulder riding = a BIG NO - NO

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I think this sounds weird but... It's not that it's legal to lane split in California, but that it isn't illegal. Does that make sense??? There isn't any laws on the books that say you can't. Same here in Ohio but nobody seems to do it here as much as you see it done on the left coast.
California only makes sense in California.

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
It may not be legal but, when I'm in the Boston area at one of my job sites for work at rush our it seems everybody uses the shoulder. I've asked about it while there and and was told, because of the volume of traffic at rush hour they call that the "zip lane" and you are allowed to use it??

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
It may not be legal but, when I'm in the Boston area at one of my job sites for work at rush our it seems everybody uses the shoulder. I've asked about it while there and and was told, because of the volume of traffic at rush hour they call that the "zip lane" and you are allowed to use it??
Be careful that applies to the road you are traveling on like South East expressway though Braintree and Quincy area's into Boston and no other unless specified by state police, in unusual circumstances. In all other area's they'll nail you. I also think you need more than one in auto to do it, you may want to check this part out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts