Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2003 HD sportster and it's been since I bought it 2 years ago but this spring I took it out for the first time and I have to give it a lot of throttle to take off on first gear. I thought it could've been bad fuel but I added seafoam and still the same thing. A friend suggests it could be the spark plugs because he heard me coming up the street and tells me that it sounds like it's running on one cylinder.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Putting in a new set of plugs is cheap and easy. If that doesn't take care of the problem, you haven't wasted much money. If it DOES take care of the problem...

RIDE ON!!

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
Also, some spark plugs have ends that screw on where the plug wires attach to.

Make sure those are tight.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just adding Seafoam or another additive to your gas won't always clear up the problem, especially if you let the gas sit over the winter and the dreaded brown sludge developed in it. If that's what's happened, the whole fuel system needs to be cleaned out and fresh gas put in. The sludge is corrosive, and it's just not worth taking any shortcuts!

Of course, if new plugs fix it, that's a lot easier. Like was said, that's easy and cheap so worth a try first.

·
Just Ride
3,732 Posts
Pretty bad if you don't know your bike is running on one cylinder. It's a 2003 and been that way since you bought it, didn't know they could change. Go to New members section and introduce yourself proper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sportster issue new to Harley

Hi I'm new to motorcycles and HD and I have 2003 HD sportster and it's been fine since I bought it 2 years ago but this spring I took it out for the first time and I have an issue that I can't pinpoint I have to give it a lot of throttle to take off on first gear. I thought it could've been bad fuel but I added seafoam and still the same thing. A friend suggests it could be the spark plugs because he heard me coming up the street and tells me that it sounds like it's running on one cylinder. Besides purchasing and putting new spark plugs should I purchase did wires as well?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts