Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any suggestions on where to ride, stay, and eat along the California coast. Not opposed to wondering off on some worth while sceinc loops here and there. Leaving Illinois June 4. Going through Tucson, then over to southern Cali. up the coastal hyway to northern Cali. before we head back east. So far, planning on checking out the "Rock Store" north of LA and the "Redwoods" north of Frisco. I'm all ears to any insight to some of the "dont want to miss" areas. I like the less traveled 2 lane roads along with "ma and pa" motels & cafe's. Where would be the best location to jump on the coastal hyway in southern Cali., looks like just north of LA. Want to stay out of San Diego and LA. Lookn forward to hearing from you west coast riders and all bikers that have done this before. Thank you in advance for the helpful advice!!

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Just run Hwy 1 the whole way up the coast.
Santa Monica pier is cool to see and good food.
Pismo beach is a cool town to check out and good food also.
Must see is Hearst Castle in San Simeon also a good place to stay the night.
Monterey and Santa Cruz also good places to stop and see the sites.
Riding across Golden Gate bridge is pretty cool.
Enjoy sounds like a great time.

·
Banned
447 Posts
You don't want to be calling it "Frisco" -- :D

Personally, because I don't like high density populated areas, I'd skip everything south of San Francisco, head from AZ through (around) Las Vegas, then north along 95 to Reno, across CA to the coast and then up 101.

But then I don't like riding on "freeways" and in a lot of traffic. If I found myself in Tuscon AZ, I'd head up the east side of Nevada (desert and deserted), Elko, Winnemucca and into Eastern OR, Western Idaho.

But that's me. I live on the Oregon Coast and most of Hwy 101 is Winnebagos and log trucks.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
You don't want to be calling it "Frisco" -- :D

Personally, because I don't like high density populated areas, I'd skip everything south of San Francisco, head from AZ through (around) Las Vegas, then north along 95 to Reno, across CA to the coast and then up 101.

But then I don't like riding on "freeways" and in a lot of traffic. If I found myself in Tuscon AZ, I'd head up the east side of Nevada (desert and deserted), Elko, Winnemucca and into Eastern OR, Western Idaho.

But that's me. I live on the Oregon Coast and most of Hwy 101 is Winnebagos and log trucks.
You've obviously never ridden hwy 1 in CA.
The best, most scenic spots are south of "Frisco".
This is from the same guy who says scenery and National parks should be seen from a cage not a bike.
I doubt Xero even owns a bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When you get to Nor-Cal and Ft. Bragg, Hwy one turns turns east to 101. Follow the "Avenue of the Giants" (which is really Hwy 1) north. If you are adventurous, just north of Weott Ca., take Matole Rd ( Bull Creek Rd ), through Honeydew and Petolia.It may not be a law, but everyone stops in both of these scenic and beautiful towns for gas, pictures and the scenery. Sasquatch has been sighted occasionally in this area. The road then heads west, touches the coast and then heads back north-east to Ferndale, with again several camera stops. If the mood strikes you, go south about 3 miles and head East on Hwy 36, one of the most beautiful and fun roads in North America. This is rated as one of the 10 best M/C roads in North America, so keep your camera at the ready try to keep the smile from cracking your face.
You didn't mention where you planned on heading East, but Hwy 36 will take you all the way to Hwy 299 East and Reno if you are so inclined.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
HD, every area has beautiful roads. The problem are people who think "their area" is the best.:laugh:laugh Personally, every back-road I ride has at some time come into my mind as "the best road I've ridden".

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
if you do the hearst castle, big sur is good too. from bodega bay north to ft. bragg gets away from the coast some. nice light house at point arena. north of ft. bragg will take you to the redwoods, drive thru tree in leggett. small towns from bodega bay to ft. bragg, get fuel when you need it. mostly two lane road. your gonna wanna stay:eek

·
Registered
612 Posts
Also keep in mind hwy 1 is time consuming. A lot of 10 mph corners. A bikers utopia for sure. Well worth going on,just plan accordingly.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Also keep in mind hwy 1 is time consuming. A lot of 10 mph corners. A bikers utopia for sure. Well worth going on,just plan accordingly.
10 MPH corners? On PCH? Hmmm, I don't remember any of those. But, it's a ride worth doing.

Stop in Montery, Carmel...definitely stop in San Simeon and visit the Hearst Castle. I'm sure you've seen the Bixby Bridge on TV, it's a pretty cool feeling to ride across it. It's 120 miles south of San Francisco. Google it for pictures.

If you feel real adventurous jump over the mountains and ride up thru Sonoma. Some really nice riding there.

·
Railroader
42 Posts
Just run Hwy 1 the whole way up the coast.
Santa Monica pier is cool to see and good food.
Pismo beach is a cool town to check out and good food also.
Must see is Hearst Castle in San Simeon also a good place to stay the night.
Monterey and Santa Cruz also good places to stop and see the sites.
Riding across Golden Gate bridge is pretty cool.
Enjoy sounds like a great time.
Agree, there are a few Best Westerns nearby as well. Do the night tour, a few bucks more but well worth it!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hy 1 up the coast is a great ride been there tons of times . doing it again in August hy 20 to 101 to willits to 1 up to Winchester bay and back like everyone said much to see cant do it all in one trip if on a time limit

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
141 Posts
We have a trip planned for June 22-24, along that exact route, Hwy one thru Ft. Bragg to Fortuna and then east on 36. Can't wait and just hope for some good weather. Hey hdzx, have you taken the Lost Coast run?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, i'm loving the ideas from all of you. The best info comes from other bikers experiences, which to me is worth alot in planning a trip like this. Keep coming with your suggestions, i will be sitting down with the map this weekend taking notes and tracking all your recommendations. I know there will be alot to see out there, i just want to prepare a plan that will allow us to see the most, in the time frame we have. Can't wait !!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love the area around Weaverville, Eureka, Shingleroof and Redding. Lake Shasta is also gorgeous and the ride up to Susanville is awesome. Not much for southern Cali

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I love the area around Weaverville, Eureka, Shingletown and Redding. Lake Shasta is also gorgeous and the ride up to Susanville is awesome. Not much for southern Cali
Fixed it for ya.

·
Registered
141 Posts
:bike-038:Hwy 299E is also a sweet ride, and a little more civilized than 36. At Weaverville, Hwy 3 heads north thru the "Trinity Alps", a breathtaking ride thru the mountains and valleys of Northern California. It take you almost to the Oregon Border, and East, West, or North gives some really nice routes, especially in the summer when the valley gets over 100 on a consistent basis. If, as swerve suggested, you keep East, the two roads of Hwy299E, Hwy 44E or hwy36E are all great roads. Take your pick. You have some great riding ahead of you if you ride in our area!:thumbsup

·
Registered
141 Posts
Living in the Redding area, I love the mountains. Gets me out of the Valley heat. We take a little 3 day every year. All are invited June 22-24th. Smokey, let us know. You must live in the Almanor area?

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Living in the Redding area, I love the mountains. Gets me out of the Valley heat. We take a little 3 day every year. All are invited June 22-24th. Smokey, let us know. You must live in the Almanor area?
That's Nascar weekend in Sonoma. Hope you are riding to the race......I am.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts