Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would get some opinions from more experienced riders...
The past couple of days have provided some very beautiful days, with the small exception of wind. I rode each day, and given that I stick to tree lined back roads (mostly) the wind wasn't much of an issue until I popped out on a 4 lane ...found myself getting pushed around a bit.... The weather.com forecast was calling for 12mph winds with gusts up to 25mph.

I was just wondering where the general opinion was regarding safe riding. Or do you just go untill the wind stops you?

Fub

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Windy conditions kinda take the fun out of riding if the wind is strong enough. It kinda beats you up all day but the worst part is on the highway when sudden gusts hit from the side. I've been pushed over to the side more than a solid foot before I was able to correct for it.

I've seen lighter riders on small bikes get pushed more than 2 feet to the side but if you ride toward the middle of the lane and don't over react then it shouldn't be too much of a safety issue. After a few times in windy conditions I got used to it and was able to relax my deathgrip a bit.

So in conclusion I would say that if you are aware of the conditions and give yourself a 3 foot or so buffer on either side then you'll be fine.

·
Most Wanted
534 Posts
Strong winds do not make for enjoyable riding, especially the gusts that come at you from the side. Unfortunately, wind is almost always present to some degree. If it's gustin up to 30mph, I won't head out that day. Now if I get caught up in it, that's a different story. I'll ride through it to get home as long as visibility is good.

·
Registered
40,743 Posts
Just pick a road that allows you to travel the same direction the wind is blowing. :thumb

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just thought I would get some opinions from more experienced riders...
The past couple of days have provided some very beautiful days, with the small exception of wind. I rode each day, and given that I stick to tree lined back roads (mostly) the wind wasn't much of an issue until I popped out on a 4 lane ...found myself getting pushed around a bit.... The weather.com forecast was calling for 12mph winds with gusts up to 25mph.

I was just wondering where the general opinion was regarding safe riding. Or do you just go untill the wind stops you?

Fub
Wind is something that goes with riding. Get used to it and aways be ready for it. It will prepare you for truck blast.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
was riding TheYougerOne's sporty the other day, winds gusting up to 40 mph. I know how to ride, but I about lost the bike twice. desided it was better to stay in town than out in the open surrounded by open fields.
Whats worse is heavy winds from the side, with solid wheels, thats' why me fatty has spokes

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Shoot went into the other lane on me Sporty one day in the hurricane times. Dont think it would be that bad on heavier bikes. Raised four lanes or large treeless areas is always rougher. Pick a country road with lotsa trees if got a choice on windy days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some good advice there and this post is timed just right for me, Two days ago I was on way to a bikers funeral, some on here will know of this...The wind was strong and gusting, especially on the dual carriageways...I gave myself space in the lane to allow for being blown off course [which I was numerous times]..Also try to relax and roll with it..'deathgrip' says it all...Speed is also a factor, I find that the position I ride in [with 16inch apes] makes me like a sail at higher speeds...just slow down, kick back and look cool :ride

Hey Badass....:thumb :nod

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,255 Posts
Since I've gotten the new wheels, cross winds don't bother me. So now, wind in general doesn't bother me..unless the roads are wet.

If you've got solid or almost solid (DX) wheels, they're like sails and make crosswinds a pain in the ass. Swap them out for something that breathes better.

You could also try lowering your ride height, either by seat, or by frame, or both.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Just pick a road that allows you to travel the same direction the wind is blowing. :thumb
There you go.

Hang on, and let the bike do the work. As long as you don't over correct you'll be fine. Nothin' to it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's windy all the time where I live and it's always gusty, not steady. I think it's scarier than it is dangerous. The truth is it's going to take a pretty strong wind to blow you out of your lane so if it's coming from one direction, as it usually is, stay to that side of the lane and don't ride next to any cars. During the fall here we frequently have wind gusts up to 60 MPH and I ride through them all the time because I have to. I wouldn't do it for fun, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the replies...

Good things to know...rarely do we have gusts over 25-30mph, so steady as she goes.

Fub

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I enjoy riding in gusty wind. It makes me giggle. You don't have to do anything, the bike will pretty much lean into the wind for you due to the physics of the rotating inertia of the wheels.

·
Vrydr
3 Posts
I have ridden all my life in midwest america, South Dakota where we always have wind. You learn to shift slightly to lean into the wind and be ready when you come out from behind a truck or a bridge as the sudden gust will push you unexpectedly. Larger the bike and the lower the center of gravity the easier it is. My FLHTCI is the best one so far to ride in the wind!!!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Just pick a road that allows you to travel the same direction the wind is blowing.
It's handy if you don't have the nerve to go 100 mph just ride 70 into a 30 mph headwind :thumb

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Relax and if you are feeling blown by the wind lean a very small bit in the direction it is coming from. It will make you feel more stable against it.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts