Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a bit over 700 miles now and my wife rode with me yesterday for the second time (first time was when I first got the bike). Anyhow, I noticed it seems to shift a bit smoother and it vibrates a tad more when she's on it. Any one else notice slight differences with a passenger in how the bike rides (excluding the obvious w/ weight)?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Not sure what might attribute to the smoother shifting, but the vibration makes some sense as the suspension is more compressed and thus less able to dampen vibration from road, etc.

I don't really notice those things that much, but I will say that I have to be intentional for the first few minutes with a passenger on the back about putting myself in "2-up" mode. The weight and weight distribution issues change the handling and braking characteristics enough that it takes me a few miles to acclimate to it. It's like riding a different bike.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
My bike rides like a friggin Caddy, 2 up. Of course I have to get in the mindset of allowing extra braking distance, etc, but I just can't believe how nice that bike is 2 up, smooth as glass. It also helps she knows how to be a good passenger. Only complaint is I can't let my feet go too far back when stopping, her boots nail my legs and there's no give as she's right against my guard bags.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I had to stop riding 2 up once my wife reached 375 because I had a hard time keeping front tire down...I was thinking just yesterday if I added some lead weight to the front forks maybe that would help..:)..What do you think?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to stop riding 2 up once my wife reached 375 because I had a hard time keeping front tire down...I was thinking just yesterday if I added some lead weight to the front forks maybe that would help..:)..What do you think?
LOL, that is funny! Good thing bikes are RWD :D

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
Might have to switch to a Can-Am.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Perhaps you notice smoother shifting because you are (subconsciously) more aware of how you are driving since you have a loved one on the back.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Perhaps you notice smoother shifting because you are (subconsciously) more aware of how you are driving since you have a loved one on the back.
+1

Actually, +1,000,000

I know for me the whole world changes when my wife is on the back.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
+1

Actually, +1,000,000

I know for me the whole world changes when my wife is on the back.

Mine too:

"Slow Down."
"I'm cold."
"I gotta pee."
"Let's stop at the antique mall."
"Bla"
"Bla, Bla"
'Bla, Bla, bla."

:)

I'm kidding, but only sort of!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have it made ...My wife hates to ride..and she is 125lbs..so..when she does ride 1-2 times a yr its always like I'm by myself

·
Registered
392 Posts
Def changes the handling and braking a little, but as another poster said, after a few miles I get adjusted to it. It's always cool when my wige rides with me but I do like riding alone better

·
Registered
7,340 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
What I hate about 2up is the fingernails in the rib age when she sees a cage getting ready to do something stupid. After a few times I told her she would walk home next time! It's bad enough the cages are trying to kill us and she's freaking out and grabbing me like that.

It hasn't happened in a few months, so I think I got my point across.

·
2,327 Posts
Make sure you check the pressure on the rear shocks....makes a huge difference if you're under inflated.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts