Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you go on vacation do you ride your own and that is the vacation?
Do you ship your bike out with you?
Do you trailer it and ride when you get there?
Do you rent a bike at your destination?

I haven't done any of the above yet. I'm collecting your wisdom for my future plans.:)

·
1,078 Posts
I've trailered to Myrtle and ridden to Myrtle, I'll ride again when I get the chance. I've rented several times while vacationing in Vegas (Eagle Rider is great, I've had a Sportster, 2 Road Kings and an Ultra Classic) and I did the Fly & Ride program when we went to Hawaii (Very plain Road King really made me miss mine)
The times that we took the whole family with us I just looked at all the bike on the road and wished.
John

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
The only way I have done it so far is to ride mine there but like you Lil I might want to rent or Fly&Ride. 98RKC Do you reccomend the Fly& Ride?

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
Don't tell anyone but I have been known to trailer out to the tailofthedragon just because it's a 6 hour ride on the interstate and the roads I like to ride are twisty. Besides if you want to take the coolers and the Gas grill it's more convenient to trailer.

I've never done the fly and ride thing but it looks like fun. As 98RKC said, when I'm vacationing with the family it's really not an option.

I would eventually like to go to Sturgis and experience the rally one time. Riding up would be my first choice just for the bragging rights. Trailering would probably be more comfortable. Comfort is my middle name

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I've never shipped my bike or rented a bike, but me and my brother keep wanting to go to cali and ride hwy 1. we were both born in monterey and we scattered my dad's ashes out there in his favorite spot as a kid. we've always wanted to go back and take a ride down south. It would be best to have our bikes but we'll probably rent.

·
1,078 Posts
The only way I have done it so far is to ride mine there but like you Lil I might want to rent or Fly&Ride. 98RKC Do you reccomend the Fly& Ride?
Yes, it was fairly painless but make sure you start the process 2 months ahead of time. I didn't think about that and barely squeaked through. The dealer in Hawaii was very nice (of course they were they live in Hawaii) and even provided rain gear which unfortunately we needed twice for short periods of time.
You also must do a 2 day minimum but it was $100 per day including insurance.:ride

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I do both... riding vacations, rent at destinations.

Three years ago a family vacation at Cocoa Beach, FL... got permission from the bride and kids while they played in the ocean to drive down to nearby Melbourne where I rented a Fatboy for a day. Explored Florida away from the beaches... orange groves, small towns, northern Everglades, etc.

One of the stops. Have a thing for stopping at small country stores for a lunch. Man that was a hot day. Note how the Florida sun had bleached the T-Bag from previous rentals...

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Another great find, Steve.

As an aside, anybody have any sure fire way to deal with the sun bleach effect on the t-bag? I have one just like it.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Riding usually IS my vacation. When I had multiple bikes, we'd trailer because it was too hard to ride more than one at a time (and driving from Chicago to Daytona at the end of February was almost guaranteed to suck)... otherwise, I throw my duffel across the back seat and am GONE.

I did the Fly 'n' Ride out of SFO during the spring of '96... spend three days wandering around the Northern California coast... no reservations (except for the first night), no agenda... my schedule followed the wind and I had the most WONDERFUL time. The folks at Dudley Perkins were just great - had the bike ready to go when I walked in and the whole experience was seamless. Would love to do that again when I can afford to take a 'spendy' vacation, LOL!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I always ride, but I only go in the spring , summer and fall. I think getting there is most of the fun ! !

Me as well. After 4 years it is gray.
I'm all ears if there's any way one can minimize the sun bleach effect.

Bill:ride

Attachments

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Those are SAC bags. Harley sells them also, infact thats how I bought mine. I love the bag and have it on the bike nearly all the time. Exept for one thing. The fabric has faded to a similar shade as the one shown in way less then a year. If you ask me it's a defect in the material. I live up north and allways find the shadiest spots to park my ride. So take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would rather ride to vacation than trailer.

So far, have not trailered, bu have a SUV set up to do so if needed.

Farthest trip was just short of 2,000 miles in 6 days - What a BLAST!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I always ride, but I only go in the spring , summer and fall. I think getting there is most of the fun ! !

Me as well. After 4 years it is gray.
I'm all ears if there's any way one can minimize the sun bleach effect.

Bill... Nice pic! Hoosier Pass is not far from here. Recorded a ride from home to that spot once...

The Ride to Hoosier Pass - Streaming Video

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bill... Nice pic! Hoosier Pass is not far from here. Recorded a ride from home to that spot once...

The Ride to Hoosier Pass - Streaming Video

Thanks. I always like your videos. That was my 1st time in the Colorado Rockies and all I can say is WOW they are pretty!! and high!! But I am a flat lander from Illinois.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Bill, Passed by Quincy this summer when riding out to North Carolina. On the way back I took 136 out of Indianapolis, spent the night in Danville, then continued on 136 crossing Illinois, and the BIG river at Keokuk, IA, just north of Quincy. I had a fine time in IL. Really did. Pulled over to watch crop dusters, and enjoyed the small towns. The agriculture reminded me of the might of America. Enjoyed 136 through MO, but soon after entering Nebraska dropped south to 36 and took the Pony Express Highway all the way to Denver. Perhaps you took 36 to CO?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts