Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I tried the search but couldn't find anything on this. I've got comfortable riding solo, but I know my wife is going to want to come along. What should I expect or have to change when I'm riding with her?

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,290 Posts
Go to a big vacant parking lot have her meet you there. Practice starting and stopping then turning etc.

You can practice at home with her learning when and how to mount and unmount. Make sure she understands that you have to tell her when you are set for either.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
The quickest thing she needs to learn/understand is to not do any leaning. that may come later with experience but an unexpected extra lean from a passenger can put you right down.

The most she should do is move her head so that she can look over your inside shoulder. Other than that she should let you do everything and she should just relax and not try to help.

I know several couples who tour all over the country and their wives sit back there and read a book or go to sleep. They have been at it for years and have the experience. That takes time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The quickest thing she needs to learn/understand is to not do any leaning. that may come later with experience but an unexpected extra lean from a passenger can put you right down.

The most she should do is move her head so that she can look over your inside shoulder. Other than that she should let you do everything and she should just relax and not try to help.

I know several couples who tour all over the country and their wives sit back there and read a book or go to sleep. They have been at it for years and have the experience. That takes time.
Exactly what I was going to say. And don't let her gt in the habit of trying to "help" you because it's hard to break. The first time she does it, stop and talk to her about it. (In a friendly way if you want dinner that evening!) And be aware she might not just lean into the turn further than you would expect, she may also lean OUT of the turn, which will cause you to have to lean the bike more, possibly digging in a footpeg or bar and lifting the tires off the ground.

By all means take it easy the first few times on the turns with her until you learn how she's going to react and you have a chance to make any corrections for her if needed. Taking it easy at first will pay off in the end.

·
Registered
93 Posts
All these things. Plus you may want her to get on in the garage and adjust foot pegs and backrest as needed. Some like to get on from the right and some from the left. Some slide in the saddle wile others step up and over. Have her try a couple time in private and you both work on how to board and disembark the bike. My gf after over 60k with me still messes up once in a while. Most importantly enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
915 Posts
After 25 years without a bike, we bought our Ultra last September, and without knowing it, followed all of the advice given here! We started in the driveway with some Practice of her getting on and off. It all starts with her asking me if I'm ready. We did some trips around our neighborhood, (slow and low threat) starting and stopping.
Low speed two up is, in my opinion way harder than anything you two will do. Practice stopping slowly and stopping more aggressively, you will need to do both! Have her stay centered on the bike, no unannounced shifting or leaning especially when slow. We have now ridden the Tail of the Dragon, the Cherohala, Moonshiner 28 and have had 0 problems. We do not take this for granted and are sticking with our "new guys" rules they work! Have fun, be safe and you will LOVE riding together:)

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Also remember to operate the motorcycle gently while she is on board. No quick starts; no hard braking; no aggressive lean or turns. Any abrupt sensation that she feels, she will try to counteract. So gentle operation of the bike until she has had some extensive time in the saddle. This will provide her with more enjoyment and hopefully want to keep riding with you for a long, long time.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
While we are in the road, anytime my wife needs to adjust her position she will put both hands on my shoulders. That way I know she is going to be moving and can be ready for it. She started doing that on her own and it helps.

·
Registered
505 Posts
This is all great advice. Not much more to add. But practice away from traffic like in a big empty parking lot

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with all the above especially that you let her know when to mount or dismount there should never be a surprise or sudden movement. When I was first riding I was told to put 5,000 miles solo before thinking about riding two up. I found this advise to be solid.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Great advice everyone. I am lucky, as my wife is a great passenger. We have ridden through monsoons, hail, a turkey, etc. and she keeps climbing on the back when I give her the all go signal. Be ready if you wear helmets. The first time you have to stop hard, she will headbutt you in the back of the head if she isn't ready for the sudden stop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great advice. I think once I finally can get my own bike I will start by getting used to the new bike solo before attempting to have her ride with me. It sounds like what I've heard before that the toughest part is either going slow or stopped with a passenger. I'll just have to make sure to let her know no sudden movements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One piece of advice I overheard at a class when this was brought up, was for corners, tell her to look where you are looking. That way she will not counter-lean against you, it will be that slight lean that comes from looking where you want to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts