Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are any tips or even suggestions on bikes. I'm still shopping around for what harley to get. It's down to the Wide Glide, Fat Boy or Road King. Will there be a noticeable difference in the way that these bikes handle with my wife and I. She is around 190lb and I'm at 175lb. I've taken her on rides on my FJR 1300 and didn't like the feel of things at all and now I'm wondering what one of the before mentioned bikes will feel like. When I had my Sportster the girl I was with may have weighed 120 and it was like she wasn't there. Is there just that big of a difference between sporty bikes and cruisers? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,360 Posts
You can mod seats to make her more comfortable but have her sit on each type with you. I think the RK suspension is probably the best for a passenger, but I think you would notice more with her higher up, in addition to the RK storage. My wife prefers my Breakout over the Heritage just because of the seat width. How tall are you? You will want to be sure to be flat foot also but that can be done with lowering if needed. Test them out at the dealer and remember that a new rear seat will help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 5'8" and I can sit flat footed on all 3 of them. My wife has become so self conscious of her weight that she's embarrassed to even get on the bikes at the dealership. We were there last night. She thinks that she'll break the kickstand. She also started thinking that I'm to weak to hold us up. Good lord if I can do it with the fjr. But I guess that's a bridge I'll have to cross. I was leaning wide glide with a sun downer seat but I do think the road king was comfortable.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I had a Heritage which is pretty much a fatboy with different trinkets bolted on it. I now ride an Ultra.

IMO, the touring frame is a much better 2-up bike even though it has a higher center of gravity. I would probably go Road King.

·
Registered
717 Posts
My wife and I ride two up on the limited. No problems and have you two beat by a buck and a half. Go with the rode king. You won't regret it.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,780 Posts
IMHO you can ride 2 up on any of them. My wife has been battling a neck injury that has limited her activities to the point of her putting on quite a bit of weight. She is right around the size of your wife and I am about your size. We ride 2 up on my 04 SuperGlide, with no problems. I also have a 1990 Electra Glide Police that she has gotten to where she prefers it due to the ride comfort after her neck surgery.

Ask yourself this: how much time is going to be spent 2up? If it is less than 50% get the bike that makes YOU the happiest. At 50% or above is 2 up then by all means consider a touring frame.

One more thing... Tell her she ain't gonna break the kickstand on any of 'em. Both of us sit on either of mine all the time with the stand down and feet on the boards.

Pick the one you like, put her on it and tell her how sexy she looks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMHO you can ride 2 up on any of them. My wife has been battling a neck injury that has limited her activities to the point of her putting on quite a bit of weight. She is right around the size of your wife and I am about your size. We ride 2 up on my 04 SuperGlide, with no problems. I also have a 1990 Electra Glide Police that she has gotten to where she prefers it due to the ride comfort after her neck surgery.

Ask yourself this: how much time is going to be spent 2up? If it is less than 50% get the bike that makes YOU the happiest. At 50% or above is 2 up then by all means consider a touring frame.

One more thing... Tell her she ain't gonna break the kickstand on any of 'em. Both of us sit on either of mine all the time with the stand down and feet on the boards.

Pick the one you like, put her on it and tell her how sexy she looks!

I like the way you think. It will be less than 50% 2 up without a doubt.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I also have an FJR 1300 and the Ultra does it for us. If you're just cruising around town it might be too big but for long rides you won't beat it. The rear adjustable air shocks make a huge difference.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
We've ridden two-up on both my Heritage and Ultra. I weigh 285 and my wife 150. On the Heritage, she found it rough and once or twice had blood in her urine. That's why I bought the Ultra. No problems whatsoever on the Ultra.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'd go with the King if it were me. My wife is a bit larger than she once was, and we do ride on my Superglide, but we are definitely over the weight limit. It's fine as long as we don't hit any road imperfections, but have to slow down if you see something coming up.

According to my manual we are about 50 pounds over weight with the two of us. She rides very little though...maybe 3-5 times a year. I've been pondering a roadking as it has much more capacity, and she would be much more comfortable on one so she would actually ride more

·
Registered
68 Posts
I switched from a Fatboy to an ultra so my wife would ride more. The more she rides the more I can ride. I have 100 on you and the wife is about the same as yours. Love the ultra and I am surprised how well it handles.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm glad to have found this thread. My wife was concerned with riding 2 up due to her weight. Between her and I we are pushing 500 and some change. The electraglide has made it several trips over the less than a year I've owned her. Very sturdy frame and comfortable as heck. My wife is still self conscious about her weight, but she won't hesitate to jump on the back and ride.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Get the road king and fill the rear suspension with air. Good to go.

Hell, I was gonna let Andy ride bitch to the first Collision when he blew out his elbow. And that was before he went all beast mode and dropped all that weight. :laugh

·
Banned
90 Posts
Get the Road King that's what I have with the sundowner seat which is 14in of padded seat for the rear passenger along with the backrest and the floorboards and your wife will be very comfy mine is!

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Road King or a Ultra and you will be happy doing 2 up riding and you can still enjoy riding it solo.
A big Harley can handle a big woman. When you see those crotch rockets with a 300 pound passenger on back, that just looks so wrong.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I am 210 and please don't tell my wife bit she is about mid 200s( she has health problems and blew up once she started some of her meds) but my ultra limited is just fine and we have done 500 mile days...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
My 2009 Dyna Super Glide is set up for one rider - me. I have not ridden with a passenger in quite a few years. If you ride a bike that is perfectly set up for you, adding a passenger will cause it to handle differently and not a 'good' differently. Adding a heavier passenger is going to make riding even more difficult. However there are things that you can do to make the ride better.

From the handling aspect, adding a passenger shifts the total rider/passenger weight to the rear of the bike. That is never a good thing. It changes the steering head angle, making the bike less responsive on turns. It also reduces front tire traction and the effectiveness of the front brake. Just putting a passenger on a bike will increase the distance that it takes for you to stop. Aggressive maneuvering is more difficult with a passenger.

I would recommend a bike that has as much travel in the rear shocks as you find. I hear of lot of riders on Road Glides and Soft-Tails complaining about the rear suspension bottoming out. My Super Glide never has had that problem. If you need a lower bike, start with seat work rather than a lowering kit for the suspension.

A good set of rear shocks, such as the Progressive 444 is well worth the money, especially if you are hauling a passenger. They have infinitely adjustable preload settings and can be adjusted without tools. You can order them with heavy duty springs if you will be riding with a passenger. I used to have Progressive(tm) springs in the front forks, they were good but now I have Traxxion single rate springs and Ricon valves - even better.

While your rear shocks are easy to adjust for the right sag when you have a passenger, adjusting the front suspension is a bit tougher. Most riders do not even mess with the front preload/sag. Speed Merchant does make adjustable preload fork caps.

When it comes to riding comfort for a passenger, there are a number of aftermarket seats that are pretty cushy. The Sundowner from Harley is a very comfortable seat for both the guy up front and the passenger. A sissybar backrest for the passenger is just about mandatory too.

You will need to adjust your riding style when you have a passenger. If you are used to slamming corners, you will probably want to adopt a less aggressive riding style. Don't forget to up the pressure in your tires to the higher end of the factory recommendations too. Never forget that you are probably scaring the hell out of the woman on the back from time to time. Slow down and enjoy the scenery.

Pete

Just wondering if there are any tips or even suggestions on bikes. I'm still shopping around for what harley to get. It's down to the Wide Glide, Fat Boy or Road King. Will there be a noticeable difference in the way that these bikes handle with my wife and I. She is around 190lb and I'm at 175lb. I've taken her on rides on my FJR 1300 and didn't like the feel of things at all and now I'm wondering what one of the before mentioned bikes will feel like. When I had my Sportster the girl I was with may have weighed 120 and it was like she wasn't there. Is there just that big of a difference between sporty bikes and cruisers? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Get the road king and fill the rear suspension with air. Good to go.

Hell, I was gonna let Andy ride bitch to the first Collision when he blew out his elbow. And that was before he went all beast mode and dropped all that weight. :laugh
Man, that woulda been quite the sight... I still say you just wanted me to spoon you for 6+ hours...

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Man, that woulda been quite the sight... I still say you just wanted me to spoon you for 6+ hours...

That's because you're a homopottomus.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts