Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone took a poll of how many ride at night so I thought I'd ask this question. How many of you ride in warm/hot weather with just a t-shirt and/or shorts on? It's so much more comfortable but, then, you are not very well protected if something happens. Those bugs also sting a little more when they hit your legs and arms too. I find it's a totally different riding experience for me and I love it. I have a couple of friends, though, that wouldn't even mount up without at least jeans on and probably at least a light jacket or pullover as well. I think some of that may have to do with image more than self-protection though.

I'm so hot-natured, I couldn't even imagine a leather jacket, no matter how well-vented, in the kinds of heat and humidity we get here in the summer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Boots,jeans,body armor/leather jacket,gloves and helmet,I've hit the ground once with all on,no road rash,dont want to find out how it feals.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lets hope you never have the experience I had in 1969.A hot Whitsun holiday Sunday.My pal Tony wanted to borrow my car so he could take his girl out so I borrowed his bike,a BSA Lightning.Another pal, Paul begged me to let him have a go and reluctantly I did, insisting I ride pillion so as to keep check on him.Just approaching my home on a bit of a double bend and he opened it up, showing off, lost control, dropped it, hit a parked car and I went through the air like superman.In just jeans and a short sleeved shirt and no helmet.There was a very visible line of skin along the road that had come from my right arm and a big hole in my knee and ankle.The infection that followed was even worse with great big boils on my bum.Paul was OK with just a few scratches as he went under the parked car.Tony was NOT amused at having his bike totalled, but I think at least he got his "leg over".I wear full gear now always.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to wear shorts/t-shirt. Last year, I felt like not doing it was much..and tried again, bee flew up my short's leg opening. I won't wear them again.

This year (finally) I bought a good 3-n-1 armored jacket that goes from full textile with wind/rain liner to mesh in about a minute with matching pants. Can't wear the pants yet (2x is just a wee bit tight, 3x is too big, so I'm opting to lose weight).

I am also wearing my full face more & more, however that may change as it gets too hot around here, time will tell. I should wear gloves more, but prefer to ride without them when I can. Gloves cause my hands to get tired/ache more than without.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to wear shorts/t-shirt. Last year, I felt like not doing it was much..and tried again, bee flew up my short's leg opening. I won't wear them again.

This year (finally) I bought a good 3-n-1 armored jacket that goes from full textile with wind/rain liner to mesh in about a minute with matching pants. Can't wear the pants yet (2x is just a wee bit tight, 3x is too big, so I'm opting to lose weight).

I am also wearing my full face more & more, however that may change as it gets too hot around here, time will tell. I should wear gloves more, but prefer to ride without them when I can. Gloves cause my hands to get tired/ache more than without.
Yeh, the bee/bug up the pant leg occurred to me when riding yesterday as a matter of fact. I have several pairs of shorts, however, that have drawstrings around the bottoms - so I'll definitely go with those.

By the way, there are no right or wrong, good or bad responses to this thread in my opinion. Just wondering what others do. I don't plan on making any long rides or highway rides without more gear on. However, I know things can happen at any time no matter where you are or how fast you are going. But, we all are taking a little extra risk being on 2 wheels anyway. And I know so many choose a little less protective helmet for comfort and visibility. So, I wondered how many do the same with clothing.

·
Steve
262 Posts
I do admit that on occasion I ride with just shorts and tee shirt but only for very short rides (non freeway) into town and back which is about 6 miles each way.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I wear a T, long jeans, boots at the least. Don't care for jackets, chaps and etc. but will according to temps. Has to be in the low 40's before the chaps get put on.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I wore shorts on the bike ONCE. Summertime in '88 (or was it '89?) My '83 FXRS... was parked in front of the house, where I had been giving it a bath. Shorts and gym shoes... just long enough to take it around the block, down the alley and into the garage... just long enough to heat the pipes... just long enough to put a 2" blister on the inside of my right calf.

Up until 5 years ago, I'd only wear a leather when it was cold or raining. Standard apparel was jeans, boots, a t-shirt or tank top, and (when I started riding a bagger) a ballcap with my pony tail pulled thru. I never really thought about 'dressing for the crash' until after I'd started doing track days and racing... and crashing. Had any of my 'off-bike excursions' happened on the street, I'd be dead (or very seriously rashed and broken). All of a sudden, I became extremely conscious of my bare head and skin... and started feeling really vulnerable being out on my street bikes without a jacket, helmet and gloves.

So yeah, I dress a lot more than I used to, although I'm gradually slipping back into old habits.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
A t-shirt, yes. But never less than full jeans and boots. Fingerless gloves in the summer and full gloves in the cold. Either a leather jacket or a jean jacket until it is just too hot.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Did this once... shorts and t-shirt. Can remember when -- summer '98 as I was riding to a Dairy Queen on a hot day with a friend following in his car! We had just been hiking together and met at a trailhead. Interesting experience, but I kinda felt like I do when I'm in a car without the seatbelt on. Vulnerable. Have worn protective gear ever since.

I've read where one is actually cooler with the arms, legs and such covered versus in the sun and wind with both drying any perspiration and the sun frying the skin. Try mesh gear sometime. It's downright cold to wear when temps are in the 80's or below, and nice in the 90's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ride quite often in the Summer in a t-shirt and shorts, but just in town, where we have a 30 mph speed limit. I fully realize the risk, and I'm very cautious...on the flip side, I'm even more wary about the way I ride because of my vulnerability.

I don't feel any more threatened than I do on my bicycle, and I put hundreds of miles on it wearing a t-shirt and shorts at speeds in the 20's & sometimes 30's.

I guess it just comes down to ones comfort factor versus risk, I'm willing to take the risk for the comfort.

Barry

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I've been curious about bicyclists. Here I'll see them flying down hills and mountains from 30-45mph... maybe even 50mph, wearing shorts, t-shirt, and a wimpy helmet. Something seems unbalanced here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've done several "Ride the Rockies" tours all over the Colorado Mtns. Nothing like punishing yourself on a long arduous climb, because the reward is in the downhill, and there are some tremendous climbs/downhills in the CO. mountains. I've seen speeds in the 60's numerous times, personal best is 64 MPH off (I believe) Loveland Pass. Then once again (a tie) off Teton Pass near Jackson, WY., what a rush on skinny 125 PSI tires! I routinely ride up the Big Horns (near my home in WY.) to Sibley Lake & return to the small town of Dayton at the base of the mountain...just for the rush of the return trip downhill, and uh.. the exercise.

My point is, I'm much more vulnerable wearing t-shirts and shorts under these conditions, than I'll ever be on my motorcycle running around town. I never once saw Lance Armstrong wearing full body armor, leathers etc. on any of his Tour victories. Unbalanced? hopefully not on any of the downhills. :eek:

Barry

·
Registered
30 Posts
Full-face helmet, jeans, boots, Vanson or BMW jacket with armor. Always. Yes, it gets hot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Too much high quality hot weather safety gear available for me to consider riding in a T shirt and shorts. I see riders wearing shorts and t shirts plus slip on rubber sandals (called thongs in Aus) These riders are commonly referred to in this country as "Thong Nongs"

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I've done several "Ride the Rockies" tours all over the Colorado Mtns. Nothing like punishing yourself on a long arduous climb, because the reward is in the downhill, and there are some tremendous climbs/downhills in the CO. mountains. I've seen speeds in the 60's numerous times, personal best is 64 MPH off (I believe) Loveland Pass. Then once again (a tie) off Teton Pass near Jackson, WY., what a rush on skinny 125 PSI tires! I routinely ride up the Big Horns (near my home in WY.) to Sibley Lake & return to the small town of Dayton at the base of the mountain...just for the rush of the return trip downhill, and uh.. the exercise.

My point is, I'm much more vulnerable wearing t-shirts and shorts under these conditions, than I'll ever be on my motorcycle running around town. I never once saw Lance Armstrong wearing full body armor, leathers etc. on any of his Tour victories. Unbalanced? hopefully not on any of the downhills. :eek:

Barry
I hear you. I once hit 47mph coasting down a hill and had visions of the front tire coming off. Slowed down! Once knew someone this had happened to and it wasn't pretty. Had it in the back of my mind!

BTW, a KGT rider who may come up with me to explore the Snowy Range on a ride connects regularly with Greg LeMond. Knows him well.

·
Scooter Degenerate
33 Posts
I thought I'd ask this question. How many of you ride in warm/hot weather with just a t-shirt and/or shorts on?
As the expression rightly goes... you don't dress for the ride... you dress for the crash.

Next time the T-Shirt and Shorts thing pops into your head, you might want to flash back on these.

Part 1--- http://kontraband.com/show/show.asp?...p girlfriend

Part 2--- http://kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=1594

'Cause hey... you never know.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts