Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 2006 sportster and want to ride with an ipod. nothing like cruising the back roads pf pennsylvania on a sunny afternoon jamming to dave matthews! anyone have any suggestions on ear buds or experiences?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Janda...a lot of it depends on what type of helmet you wear. Here in Canada, wearing a helmet is law, so it's difficult finding ear pieces that fit comfortably and stay in place. I wear a half helmet so it's not too bad for me. Wife wears a three quarter helmet (did I mention she looks like the might gazoo when she wears it?..*grin*). Anyway, we've both found that ear buds are generally too hard and hurt the ears after a short period of time. What works best for me is use gummies....little ear pieces with large spongy rubber tips (they usually come in various sizes). I use the largest tips...that way I can cram them in my ears and they don't fall out. Just remember to watch the volume...you want to enjoy your tunes, but you also want to be able to hear the traffic around you...trust me...I learned this one the hard way....scared the hell outta me when the rig went screaming past me on the outside and I was too busy grooving to tunes to be paying much attention to the traffic around me. That's a mistake I won't make again. Enjoy...tunes make the ride just that much more fun! We don't have a stereo on the King, and I prefer to have the music I like to hear in my ear rather than have it blasting loud on a stereo trying to overcome the wind noise.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
For the reason he just mentioned I personaly won't wear ear phones, ever not even when walking.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
janda, many motorcyclists rave about the Etymotics er6i's... http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

They stay in place for me with a ff helmet. The sound reproduction is top shelf, wind noise is minimized, and I can still hear the bike. I use them for listening to the iPod or the Zumo GPS MP3/XM. To be sure, most of the time I'm just serenaded by the bike, but for long rides, I'll bring the tunes just for some variety and the er6i's.

·
Banned
655 Posts
They make glasses - even prescription ones that have a 2 mig built in MP3 player. Then this little bud goes in your ear. They are pricey - $250 or more. But a friend of mine sells prescription sunglasses and he got a pair for free - they really are neat. I will look up the name and get it back on here.

Adding - Oakley Glasses - you can go to their website.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Didn't you purchase a Motorcycle so you could hear the sound of your engine and the wind in your face? If not, why did you buy a motorcycle? Maybe you should rethink your priorities.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
Try some of the new CHAtterbox products. they have some small battery operated pieces that will hook up to your ipod thru bluetooth. they are a little pricy about $180.00 but you can even get your cellphone to work with them. other than that you can get their audio only helmet inserts just put you ipod in your pocket and they are only about $25.00 part#cbhsaudio
i have sold a few to customers and they are happy. i install a lot of stereo and amp systems on full faring bikes and for the customers without farings this seems to be the best solution. only thing is you have to use a helmet that covers your ears.

www.chatterboxusa.com

i get mixed reviews from bikers about stereos on bikes. personally just jamming out on a long ride out in the country really enhances the experience for me. then i also notice the same guys who say they don't like radios on bikes suddenly are riding next to and behind me just to hear the stereo?? I love the sound of my bike but some early Clapton or Neil Young out on a lonely country road just can't be beat.

·
Super Moderator
12,744 Posts

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Im waiting for my 15" subs and amps to get here.Im gonna build a speaker box on my sissy bar and my amp is my new p pad.
Then the urban assault begins.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Didn't you purchase a Motorcycle so you could hear the sound of your engine and the wind in your face? If not, why did you buy a motorcycle? Maybe you should rethink your priorities.
I am sorry - but - WTF. To each their own. Priorities - perhaps yours should be to stay out of peoples right to free choices.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
:guns

:USA:

:cooltu

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Im waiting for my 15" subs and amps to get here.Im gonna build a speaker box on my sissy bar and my amp is my new p pad.
Then the urban assault begins.
No way! Leave those little wussy 15"s alone.

18" is the only way to go!!! Two off of the sissy bar, and one 22" built into the apes!

I'm tellin' ya, you'll start a trend!

:rofl:

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I swear to god.............. ONE MORE OUTBURST ON THIS FORUM, AND YOU'RE ALL GOING TO YOUR ROOMS........!!!

:)D)

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
i have an 2006 sportster and want to ride with an ipod. nothing like cruising the back roads pf pennsylvania on a sunny afternoon jamming to dave matthews! anyone have any suggestions on ear buds or experiences?
Janda,

I don't ride with earbuds, an Ipod or anything in my ears, but that's MY choice. I like the sound of the engine and I like being able to hear things that might be important to avoiding a crash, or just in general.

Just an example: A mechainical failure in the trans can usually be heard before it locks a rear tire and sucking the clutch lever in, in time, can prevent a rear tire lock up.

Is it going to happen? Probably not.

Could it happen? Sure.

With that said, BE CAREFUL with wearing ear devices in PA, as it's illegal. ONE EAR can have a hands free phone unit in it, but that's it.

The chances of being caught are pretty slim, and you'd have to do something else to get caught, but if you get yanked over, the cop's gonne see you take a helmet off, and your ear pieces.

Just sayin'.

Welcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts