Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MSF teaches left foot down first when coming to a full stop. Some long term riders I know say they always put their right foot down first and others say come to almost a full stop and put both feet down.
What do you do?

·
Enigma
217 Posts
Left foot first, UNLESS the intersection has those rain grooves cut into it, then its both feet.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Both feet seems to me the most stable way to stop. Thats why I disregard the MSF teaching on that particular aspect. It's a good idea to practice it though. In case your front brakes go out you can come to a full stop with your right foot on the brake peddle.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Generally, left first.

The game I like to play with myself is "how long can I go without putting my foot down". I get a kick out of making a crisp stop, holding for a second and THEN putting a foot down.

(Yes, I know... I'm amused by the dumbest things)

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
it seems I have bad luck with the hand lever working my brake light, my last three bikes I didn't have a brake light with the lever. It's my fault on my Vrod, when I switched out my stock switch housings and switch caps I put it back together wrong I guess cuz my brake light doesn't work now and I'm too lazy to take it apart again.

so I've been in the habit of using only my left foot since I figure it safe to keep my right foot on the brake so people can see my brake light :D

·
BatRod
502 Posts
I've learned the hard way that its best to stop at slow speeds with the rear brake only. You will agree after picking the bike up a couple of times.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
The reasoning behind "left foot only" is to allow you maneuverability quickly in almost any situation by still maintaining the friction point method (called trailing braking by some).

My reasoning for two-footed stopping is that the Ultra weighs too much for me to rely on one foot if there is something on the road. All it takes is one little round pebble and the single foot slips just enough to lose stability.

Where I can, I shift to a one-foot stance,but I do practice maneuvering quickly, right and left from a two-foot stance.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,186 Posts
I think Max will tell us the Plano Tx police told him if both feet don't go down, it's a rolling stop and gets you a ticket for running the stop sign. Period.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For me. It depends on the situation. Usually left foot though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Left first, still have my right on the rear brake.

Any of the old timers may still put the right one down first. In the olden days, british bikes and Harleys had the rear brake on the left.

The jap bikes had it the way they are now. For what ever reason, all mfrs, conformed to the jap bike way. I guess a standard way of doing things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts