Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 883H Sportster

Picture your right hand on the throttle and resting against the housing for the start/on-off/turn signal switches. Thumb knuckle and first knuckle of pointer finger make contact with that housing.

While on the interstate today, 5th gear, about 72mph, I felt a sting, like a shock in my thumb and then in my pointer finger. A couple in a row on the thumb and only once on the finger.

Rode for another 20 minutes or so and couldn't duplicate it.

Any ideas here?

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts
Nothing on your bike could cause an electrical shock unless you put your tongue across the battery terminals !!!
Maybe a bee sting or something.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
As I get older, I continuously discover that my body and my Harley are actually similar. Both seem to do odd crap randomly.

With both the bike and the body, I now look for trends. I just ignore it when it happens the first time.

·
Super Moderator
4,060 Posts
Wierd, because if there was a power wire bouncing around it would short to the switch housing and blow a breaker, or fuse. You could pull the housing apart for a warm and fuzzy that this isn't the case but it does sound like a ghost issue.

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
I have found that I get that same feeling randomly. As has been explained to me; it could just be a nerve getting a slight pinch. Happens to me occationally, and not just during one type of situation.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rode it home from work (49 miles) and nothing. Maybe it was that ghost issue. It felt like a bee sting but since it was in two fingers (and no outward signs of the sting) I guess it wasn't that.

I'm also experimenting with grip angles and strengths as I get numbness or a little pain in parts of my hand. I might just have to figure out a more comfortable grip.

·
812 Posts
As I get older, I continuously discover that my body and my Harley are actually similar. Both seem to do odd crap randomly.

With both the bike and the body, I now look for trends. I just ignore it when it happens the first time.
Amen to that.

To the OP. At the speed you were traveling, even a small grain of sand could cause that sensation if it hit in the right place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts