Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any right side shifters on here ? either right side tank shifter of right side foot shifter ? pic's ? places to go to have this made ?

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
Might be easier and more cost effective to convert to an "Auto Clutch". No shifting involved. Just gotta put it in 1st gear, everything else is automatic.

·
Just Ride
3,265 Posts
any right side shifters on here ? either right side tank shifter of right side foot shifter ? pic's ? places to go to have this made ?
Why?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've lost my left leg due to bike crash last year and need to come up with some way to shift a trike. don't really care what the feds like or dislike, i need to ride again.

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
I believe the federal regs are for manufacturers only....
Not for people adapting a bike to suit them.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
Hell yes, that jockey shift setup is the way to go IMO.

·
Just Ride
3,265 Posts
i've lost my left leg due to bike crash last year and need to come up with some way to shift a trike. don't really care what the feds like or dislike, i need to ride again.
Pingle electric shifter. Push a button to shift up or down. Knew a guy who put an extension on his forward control ,up to above his gas tank and mounted his clutch lever on it. He just pull the clutch and moved the extension. He was a paraplegic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bruce I would love to see any pics done midway or otherwise.
I'm right there with you Brother. I lost most of my left leg back in October of 2012 and have been trying to get back on a bike ever since. I'd really like to see proof of that federal regulation crap because I know there's gotta be bike manufacturers who have put shifters on the right side in recent nyears.

Smoothrod, look into kliktronic electronic shifters. Its a push button shifter, costs about $1000 with the ignition interrupt and is much easier than narrowing your choice of bike to one with a right side shift. I've looked into all the options and have had solo many people with both their legs still try to tell me what I need to do. If you ever need someone to talk to about it, please feel free to message me. Keep your head up my friend. Yoiure not alone!

·
Registered
61 Posts
On and if you're into choppers, I've been looking into jockey shifters with an integrated hand clutch lever. Its much safer than a foot clutch and looks badass. Its also a much !much cheaper option over an electronic shifter if you know how to work with metal. Plus all the new electric bikes coming out don't have a shifter OR clutch. Just a throttle to twist and they have a range of up to 200 miles, the batteries last 150,000 miles or so and they have tons of torque all through the power and because we'll...they don't have a power and lol.

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
Just a FWIW
Lost my leg above the knee years before I started riding. Still ride 2 wheels with a left side shift.
Just a suggestion that worked for me after looking at what options were available in 84.
On my 83 FXWG Shovel, had forward controls, a riding Brother and I fab`ed a foot peg so it was directly below where my peg set naturally. Then rotated the forward shift arm about 180*`s.
On my 98 FLH the foot board was moved back about 1". Then I just used the toe shifter.
On my current bike, 99 FXST, I am doing similar to what was done on the 83.
Yea. It reverses the shift pattern. But either way you go you will be relearning.
This is just a bit simpler, IMO, and way less expensive.
It was they way I learned to ride so really was no big deal.
Best of luck in which ever way you go. Welcome back to The Wind.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You lost your left leg? I lost my job 2 months prior to losing my leg so I didn't have insurance. That boiled down to my prosthetic leg being the lowest model possible shy of a toilet plunger with a shoe taped to it so I have no articulation with my ankle or heel or toes. I'd have to violently jerk my thigh up and mdown to get any movement out of the foot, so from my personal experience I'm left only with the options I listed. I think its awesome that you can still ride and shift fine though. Happy to hear it. This forum hands down has the most amount of amputees on it that I've ever seen lol. I need to hang out here more often. I'm sure I could learn a lot from y'all. I'm only 28 so y'all probably got a lot more life experience than I do.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts