Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike must have got a bit warm when we were out west. We did run hard a couple days on the slab when the temp was above 100. The elevation also must have had her running warm also. The right muffler has a gold hue to it now. I do have a full stage 1 with a download. Factory head pipe gutted, Ness Big Sucker and 4" Rineharts. The service guy at the dealership yesterday said not much to worry about. I do have the ESP, so if she goes hopefully its during this period. Lol. The only thing I could do for next time, he said, was to move up to a tuner to fatten her up some more.

The gold probably wont come off. I tried plain old Turtle Wax chrome polish and it didn't touch it. Any cheap remedies for this?

Also had what sounded like a collapsed lifter a morning or two. Was after the hard runs on the slab in the heat and we got a motel and just shut her down for the night. Haven't heard anything since.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I used Blue Job a couple of weeks ago and it worked very well. Didn't think to take a before and after but it did clear the gold tinge off my pipe. I don't have a stage 1, just Reinhart slip-ons but the right one had developed a large gold spot. Let me know if it works - good luck!

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Blue Job a couple of weeks ago and it worked very well. Didn't think to take a before and after but it did clear the gold tinge off my pipe. I don't have a stage 1, just Reinhart slip-ons but the right one had developed a large gold spot. Let me know if it works - good luck!
:thumbsup

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
I don't think gold is something to worry about, but you might want to pull the plugs just to see what the engine is doing. As for the lifter, try some sea foam about 200-300 miles before the next oil change. I blued my mufflers on a Sporty, never got the blue off, carb problem way too lean.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think gold is something to worry about, but you might want to pull the plugs just to see what the engine is doing. As for the lifter, try some sea foam about 200-300 miles before the next oil change. I blued my mufflers on a Sporty, never got the blue off, carb problem way too lean.
Thanks, Bud.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Already said. But I like repetition for emphasis. Fatten it up a little. Your engine will thank you for it.

Good luck with the golding. Never heard it was something to worry about.
But never had it happen. Of course had the normal bluing at the heads. Just learned to live with it.

Have you ever thought about an internal thermal coating for your exhaust system?
Have heard good results with it. Less discoloration. As well as less radiated heat.
Some claim a slight increase in performance due to better flow. :dunno

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts

·
CVMA 44-2
252 Posts
I have the stage I and I have installed the VIED (adjustable). Set 'em at 70 percent and forgot about them....bike runs great, but it did before this. Guess it is a bit cooler running. Still pops on decal, but I kinda like that...haw...........

·
Registered
89 Posts
Autosol Metal Polish

It will probably come off just by rubbing with a soft cloth. If not then use a soft pad on a rotary tool at medium speed. YouTube it. The stuff is amazing. Boot or other clothing marks disolve without even rubbing, and it can make very minor scratches basically disappear and helps a ton with worse ones.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Autosol Metal Polish

It will probably come off just by rubbing with a soft cloth. If not then use a soft pad on a rotary tool at medium speed. YouTube it. The stuff is amazing. Boot or other clothing marks disolve without even rubbing, and it can make very minor scratches basically disappear and helps a ton with worse ones.
Thanks, KB.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts