Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have an 01 Sportster 883. Just recently my right turn signal will only turn on when I'm at a stop. If I accelerate from a stop to more than 5mph it will cancel, or if I try to turn it on at any speed greater than 10 it will not come on at all. 5-10mph will flash on for a second and stop.
The Left functions normally at all times/speeds.
The Hazards will only engage at a stop.

I recently changed the grips and thought I might have shorted a wire in the handle bars but that wasn't the case (also I didn't think that would be speed related, but seemed prudent to look). While I was at it I tried to see if revving it at a stop would make it turn off (to rule out the throttle grip pinching the wire) and it made no difference.

I am getting dtc02, which seems like it could be related but I would imagine that I'd be having trouble with both turn signals not just the right.

While it seems like every turn signal problem on an HD comes back to the TSM I just wanted to get other opinions before I order one.

Additional info:
Stock signals in stock locations. Non-stock handle bars that have been on for a year w/o issue. Replaced VSS in July of 13 and has worked fine since. For the 2 years I've owned the bike it has seemed like the right was more likely to cancel than the left, more sensitive to acceleration and banking etc but I just wrote it off as me being over-analytical and not an actual issue/indicator of an issue.

:feedback:

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
Remove the speed sensor and clean the debris off the magnet. That's what usually causes turn signal problems. The sensor is behind the starter screwed into the trans case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts