Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my risers today and the only real issue I see is the Hydraulic hard brake line and the throttle cable being twisted. How big of job 2 untangle the 2..here is a pic if anyone might be able to help..

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
Cover your tank with a blanket.

Loosen the handlebar clamp to allow moving the handlebar as needed.
Squeeze the front brake lever and insert something like a ziptie (big end) or 3/16" allen wrench into the gap that opens up at the master cylinder. (To prevent breaking the front brake light switch during reassembly).
Loosen the 2 allen screws on the front brake clamp.
Loosen the 2 torx screws for the throttle grip.
You can then slide the complete throttle grip (intact) off the end of the handlebar and pass it between the handlebar and the brake line to untangle it.

Reassemble. Take special care when mating the front brake and throttle. Don't remove the ziptie or allen wrench until after you put everything back together. This holds the front brake lever away from the brake light switch button and prevents damage to the switch button.

This is much easier to do than it sounds like when it's written out in text. If you did the risers, you can do this. 15-20 minutes, tops.

(Edit: you may be able to just remove the front brake master cylinder from the bar and untangle it. Same precautions will apply.)
--

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
If you're careful to not operate the brake lever you can just disconnect the brake line from the master cylinder, move it around quickly and re-install it.

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
The gap at the handle pivot. A piece of cardboard works good just stuff it into the slot.

·
Banned
71 Posts
By chance does anyone have a pic of where to insert the allen wrench or zip tie to hold the brake lever closed? I am a little unsure of the this part of it?
Put the big end of the zip tie at the end of lever, where the pivot pin side . It goes between the lever and the housing to hold the lever open just a little .

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
It may help to know what you are trying to accomplish with this.

Squeeze the lever and look at the part inside the m/cyl. You will see a tang that contacts a little button in the throttle / switch housing. That is the front brake light switch. What you are trying to do is wedge something in the gap that opens up when applying the front brake to keep the brake lever in the "squeezed" position. If you don't do this, the tang will break the little black button when put everything back together.

--

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys for all the replies..Silverback you are absolutely correct I need to take a peak at it this evening and figure out what I am trying to accomplish with the shim..Will let you know how this turns out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the lines switched around no problem..but..got everything back together and now the throttle sticks really bad? There is only 1 way this could go back together correct? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes it best to walk away and get a cup of coffee and think about it for a min. Did just that came back and worked on it for 5 mins and got it out of the bind it was in..all good and my first short ride the bars felt great...Thanks for everyone's help..

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
Glad you got it sorted and glad to help. But now that you're over this hump, I'll recommend (and I'm sure the other members will agree) that the best money you can spend is to buy the Harley factory service manual for your model. Genuine, not aftermarket. So,etimes you can find a good used one on eBay. Whatever, but get yourself one.

:thumb

--

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well been getting some riding in and a little concerned about the front brake line being pretty tight..How big of a undertaking is it to replace the line? Seems pretty straight forward but it sounds like bleeding the brakes is the big project..Also does Harley make a extended brake line or is Magnum the best one to get. I would like to secure it just like the factory line.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
06H
Bleeding the brakes will not be a big deal at all.You will need a helper and do a "reverse bleed". It works super and is quick. Just look up 'Reverse brake bleeding'.
You will need a 2oz. syringe and a piece of clear plastic tubing and a zip tie.
Colt.45

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

·
CVMA 44-2
252 Posts
The front brakes will bleed themselves from gravity. Did mine today to get some new brake fluid in there.....nary a problem. Ya gotta pump the rear brakes to bleed. Easy to do, since you can reach the rear bleeder and the brake pedal at the same time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts