Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relatively stock sporty. Like the riding stance :ride (beach bars, low seat and forward controls), but I either need an inch more arm or some different risers (stock now-1 inch I guess). Looked at some short ones with a little pull back, but it's hard to gauge how much up and back. I'm just guessing at 3 up with a slight pull back. Would prefer not to change cables yet. I'm 5' 11'. Got guidance? Thanks.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Some Harley dealers have a setup where you can put on a set of handlebars and seat and see how they feel. That is the first thing I would look into. Second, set on your bike, close your eyes and put your hands where you think you would like them. That will give you a good idea of where the ballpark is.

You want to be careful with too much pull back in the risers as that starts to move the center of the bars off the center line of the forks. It can start to give a sort of weird mushy feeling. Beach bars have an odd bend, you might just play with some other bends at the dealer to see if you can find one with more angle that works for you.

You might try and find someone who has some risers you can mock up. They are kinda expensive to buy so you want to be right first time. I have a couple of sets, I will see what they are and maybe you can try them to see if they put the bars where you like.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Appreciate the insight. Kinda like the beach bar bend with the lower bike but above 65 my thin ass feels like a kite in the wind. Just feels like a bit back from the triple tree would be just right. I'll check with a couple of dealers and see.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Thanks. Appreciate the insight. Kinda like the beach bar bend with the lower bike but above 65 my thin ass feels like a kite in the wind. Just feels like a bit back from the triple tree would be just right. I'll check with a couple of dealers and see.
You get too far back or upright you will be pulling yourself into the wind at highway speed and it will make your lower back and shoulders ache. Kinda depends on what type of riding you do most.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
You might want to look into the new nightster handlebars. Designed for the sportster to begin with. Just an idea.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
That's a good way to go. When I had the mini-buckhorns on my FXST I went to the dealer and sat on a Night Train. I liked the feel and recreated it on the FXST. If you can find a bike you like the feel of, most of the work is done for you. You do want to be careful of changing it too many times as the bars are dirt cheap compared to the cost of modifying cables and wiring.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again folks. Appreciate the insight. My riding is generally no more than an hour anywhere. No long distances. Just out of town and into the country to clear the head on the weekends. I'll head out to the local dealership to do a test grab on some bars. Seems like the newer sportys have some built in pull back designed in the headset.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Oh, and WELCOME!! TO THE FORUM!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gazoo, I had already peeked in a few months ago, but newbie manual is still in the plastic bag.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another option, if you can handle it, is to look into a rider's backrest (e.g. not one for passenger, but for you). They can tend to push one forward a bit, provide some support, etc., and make riding longer distances more enjoyable.

I cheated, and got a bag for the trick: http://www.lazyrider.com

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,191 Posts
Another cheap easy quick idea, and Mike The Mechanical Engineer can probably provide some math expertise to suggest what would be a reasonable simulation. I believe if you rode your bike's front wheel up on a 2" thick book or board, and sat on the bike balancing with your feet, and your eyes closed, your body and backbone are still going to have a feel for what is vertical, the extra rise to the front end should give you an idea what different lengths of pulled back bars would feel like. There's probably a way to accurately simulate a 2" pull back, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts