Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sun comes out, 61 degrees, and I jet out of work ASAP, looking forward to the first ride in 6 weeks. I'm putting along through town on my 09 RK Classic, loving life. My bike stutters. At first, I thought maybe my hand had slipped off the throttle. Fine for another couple hundred yards. Then the engine light comes on, it loses power, backfires and is now limping along on one cylinder. I make it home, about four miles and park it. The front can was cold, the rear hot. I immediately called Destination HD in Tacoma, WA and talked to the nicest guy in the world. They will pick up the bike in a few days. Any ideas as to what the hell the problem is would be appreciated.

·
luv the low country
20,288 Posts
9lives, maybe condensation in gas tank. Had the same thing happen to me up in Vermont, started loosing power, bucking and backfiring like crazy so I thought it was some bad gas from tanking up in Mass. Limped into Bennington, VT, stopped at the first auto parts store, bought some Lucas gas treatment, dropped in ~5-6oz and it straightened it out after a couple miles. No problem since. Don't know if this helps or not.

·
Just Ride
3,734 Posts
Spark plug wire bad or disconnected. Coil, spark plug

·
Registered
257 Posts
Spark, fuel and compression will be checked. Probably something simple....hopefully. They will run some simple tests and will get an ideal pretty quick. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spart, that was my thought too. Even though it doesn't get real cold here for very long, I dumped in some fuel stabilizer with a full tank when I put it to bed for awhile. I also checked the wires to make sure one was not loose. I'm hoping the mechs. can resolve this.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Spart, that was my thought too. Even though it doesn't get real cold here for very long, I dumped in some fuel stabilizer with a full tank when I put it to bed for awhile. I also checked the wires to make sure one was not loose. I'm hoping the mechs. can resolve this.
Did you pull any codes ????? If it's water in the fuel, it'll show an injector code .

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,781 Posts
Sounds like what happen to me when coil went bad, but the bike had some years on it...like 15.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Web,
This is new territory for me. I'm ignorant of many procedures, processes, etc. I assume one must have one of those little hand-held computer-type devices to retrieve the codes. I don't have one. There were no #'s that came on with the engine light, so I figure one is needed.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Could be low fuel pressure, line inside the tank could have a crack or hole in it. This will cause low pressure resulting in a cylinder dropping out and backfiring.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Web,
This is new territory for me. I'm ignorant of many procedures, processes, etc. I assume one must have one of those little hand-held computer-type devices to retrieve the codes. I don't have one. There were no #'s that came on with the engine light, so I figure one is needed.
All you have to do:

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt"

Push odometer button to cycle through the codes.

·
Banned
71 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your help; I learn something new every day from you fellas. I think it has something to do with the ECM. Now my next brilliant question: Is the ECM specifically the Fuelpack, Power Commander, etc. or is it a separate component that sends info to that part?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks for all your help; I learn something new every day from you fellas. I think it has something to do with the ECM. Now my next brilliant question: Is the ECM specifically the Fuelpack, Power Commander, etc. or is it a separate component that sends info to that part?
If you have a fuel management unit, PowerCommander Fuelpac ect, unhook it and then run codes once again . Those units have been known to go bad , not often but it does happen .

What codes did you find ????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts