Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '11 RKC - ABS, Cruise
I have 14" Wild 1 Chubbys, braided lines, wire extension kit, etc.
I have the '11 Touring Models Service Manual - been reading this afternoon!
I have desire and 'sticktoitiveness' and a heated garage with tunes and cold beer!

I DON'T HAVE help
I DON'T HAVE any experience
I DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHERE TO GO AFTER TAKING OFF SOME FLUFF . . . searches are not helping me - 'though a pic of Chief's RKC confirmed for me that the tank has to come off along with the seat to do the ABS. Service Manual is a little vague on the tank removal after the fuel line is disconnected - any tips?

Am worried about the brake fluid more than anything . . . I changed the brake fluid on the Sporty when I got her - should I just detach the banjo bolts from the calipers and just keep bleeding the lines out from there or, bleed via the bleeder valve and then remove the banjo bolts? I figure I have to get the lines empty prior to following the procedure to remove the master cylinder . . . ?

I am guessing that once I get into the headlamp nacelle to disconnect the switches - the brake line routing will make more sense.

So protect with pads, remove mirrors, clutch cable, seat, fuel tank, empty brake lines, open nacelle? Then go from there?

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Let the learning begin!!! :) :what? :spar :what? :)

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Where in Ontario Canada are you??

The tank is secured with 4 bolts, 2 in front down towards bottom of tank, peel back the 2 little rubber covers to expose them, 2 in the rear, under the very front of where the seat front lip would be. Unclip the electronic connector, the fuel gauge connector, just in front of the fuel line, the vent line on the left near the electric connector, and the right side rubber tube will just pull up with the tank, as long as it isn't zip tied to the wires below the frame rail, near the oil fill.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
For the love of God, don't disconnect the brake line till the very last thing, unless you want a nightmare to bleed, and a mess of brake fluid all over the place. Hold tight, i am going to go take pictures, as I am in the middle of installing bars.

Are you on a iPhone?? I can FaceTime with you and walk you through a lot.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
These 4 bolts come out.....

2 in front

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1423362242.778884.jpg

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1423362270.406334.jpg

2 in rear.....

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1423362295.188654.jpg

Electrical connection (yours may vary slightly) and vent line

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1423362322.317009.jpg

This is what I do with the master cylinder.....keep it level, I do the brake line last....as its easier to have it on the new bars, with the new cable attached, and let the new line gravity bleed, AFTER you already have it run along the old one, and then change out the last connector as its flowing fluid. (Makes a bit of a mess, but if you do it right, it will be bled, and you can back bleed the remaining air back up through the MC)

Have rags ready, some brake cleaner, and soapy water ready, so you rinse down the area after you switch the cable out.

Like I said, a lot easier if you can Face Time with me and I can explain it better.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1423362702.688985.jpg

This is the last banjo bolt you wanna break loose, once your new cable is routed and bled/flowing fluid.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1423362717.083244.jpg

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1423362775.608977.jpg

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Set that gas tank down on the ground gently.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! - thanks for your time Stangs - great responses!

I'm in a little town called Shelburne, in the snow belt below Georgian Bay. Nice riding up here! I checked Google Maps and Lockport is under 3 hours (or, so it says . . .) - my postal code is L9V 2W3 . . . check it out!

And yes, I have an iPhone - it would be amazing if you could give me some coaching via Facetime! I would appreciate that so much! I'll pm my number and see if you have some time that you can spare that lines up with mine.

And as for that tank Chief - rest assured, i'll make a cradle for it! Treat it just like a baby!!!

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I got your PM. 15:00 should be fine. PM Inbound.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Yes Stangs is always willing to help a brother out , Face Time is that just an Apple app or can androids use it too ?

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
That's what makes this forum so great, people always willing to go out of their way to help someone out.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stangs - the man!

So, doesn't Stangs give me like a full 30 minutes of FaceTime - no rush, takes all my questions and demystifies much of what I have been confused/intimidated by . . .

Now, there is still a bunch of stuff I don't get but, it should become clearer as we move forward . . . don't want to overthink things that may not be issues and reveal themselves to be common sense!

By the end of our call today, Stangs makes himself available if I have any questions = GREAT GUY! Hope to buy him a couple of beers one day! I love this forum becuase of guys like Stangs!

We got off the phone around 1600 and by 1730 I had my tank off!

Next - the Nacelle and we'll see what we learn there! Goin' to sleep tonight feeling like I'm in control :) ('though it might just be an illusion!).

Pics or it didn't happen:

Attachments

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
So, doesn't Stangs give me like a full 30 minutes of FaceTime - no rush, takes all my questions and demystifies much of what I have been confused/intimidated by . . .

Now, there is still a bunch of stuff I don't get but, it should become clearer as we move forward . . . don't want to overthink things that may not be issues and reveal themselves to be common sense!

By the end of our call today, Stangs makes himself available if I have any questions = GREAT GUY! Hope to buy him a couple of beers one day! I love this forum becuase of guys like Stangs!

We got off the phone around 1600 and by 1730 I had my tank off!

Next - the Nacelle and we'll see what we learn there! Goin' to sleep tonight feeling like I'm in control :) ('though it might just be an illusion!).

Pics or it didn't happen:

He's a special, special cat. He's helped us all.

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
He loves to tinker with bikes Rickenbacker and by what I've seen here he is good at it. Take a look at his SG to RG conversion, then his sound system project. You will be surprised.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts