Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to the group, I posted in the intro forum.
I am renewed to biking, in the 70's I owned a 73 kaw 900, which in its day was one of the fastest productions bikes around, and I was crazy with speed back then, but out on the open road, with noone to hurt but myself.
I rode into the 80's then got off em for a number of years.
Well, I'm back, and with a 01 heritage. Just wanting to cruise down the road, enjoy the scenery and the beauty of the road.
I was riding the other day, crusin along, minding my own business, when along came a youngster on a crotch rocket, pulled up beside, lifted up off the seat, pulled the front wheel off the ground, and got on down the road.
Do these guys pose a safety threat to the cruisers? Do they react differently to others on bikes that are on cruisers, than they would to 4 wheel transportation?
I guess what I am trying to ask here, is there any advise as to what to be watchful of with these guys?
I know that many guys on these high performance machines aren't a problem, but there are a few that are, and I would really like to know if there are any experiences out there that you can share, and how you handled it.
Thanks for the imput, and thanks for havin me in the group.
Samg

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
They pose a saftey threat to anyone around them and themselves. Had one guy do that past us while we were headed back from fayettevile. 10pm and his head light is pointed to the sky. A car pulled out in front of a guy locally because she didn't see him. Again his headlight was pointed up. This particular guy died and the week before had carried the casket of his buddy that killed himself on hwy 169 in Tulsa by hitting the back of a semi and putting his head thru the back door. 1 month ago a co worker saw a VERY LUCKY guy land in the back of a flatbed truck after such a stupid stunt. I know I did some stupid things back in my younger days but wheeling thru traffic wasn't one of them. Eventually they learn or become organ donors. As for what to watch out for, who knows. Not all rice rocket riders do stupid stuff.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I think they are mostly a threat to themselves. As it is said, "Before one becomes older and wiser, one must first be young and stupid." To be sure there is a small threat to others on the road if they pull a wheelie or stoppie and lose control, but I can't think of the last time this happened locally where another motorist suffered the consequences. More often a crazy pass or cooking into a corner too quickly for the rider's skill was the source for the sportbike crash. To be sure, there are just as many, if not more crashes in my area, often with other vehicles around, caused by H-D riders having one brew too many.

There's a very small minority of sport bike riders having an issue with those on a H-D or cruiser. Likewise, there's a small number of H-D riders who can't stand the rockets and I've seen their tactics. Give both plenty of space.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,239 Posts
Never had any problems...just another rider in my book.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,189 Posts
I have had a close call that fits this scenario,

Preparing to change lanes, move one to the right coming out of a toll plaza,
turned on my signal, looked in my mirror, glanced over my shoulder
to confirm the lane was clear several car lengths back,
it was clear for much further than that.

As I moved, a kid in a 4 wheel Rice Rocket went thru that same spot
at about 110 mph. Way too close.

So my comment is, because of outrageous closing speeds,
you can't see far enough back to confirm the lane is still
going to be clear for long enough to make your move.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,239 Posts
Yeah, funny how clutches seem to all go bad after I ride/drive someone elses' stuff. :lol8

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Yeah, funny how clutches seem to all go bad after I ride/drive someone elses' stuff. :lol8
I had the same problem. I got on a friends GSXR and i couldn't get the front wheel to stay on the road.?? brought it back to him,told him the same thing,"must be the clutch". :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Never had any close calls with other riders myself, but have seen folks do some stupid stuff on bikes. Both on crotch rockets and Harleys. Whether it's some kid pulling an 80mph wheelie, or someone trying to stand up in his seat on a cruiser. It's not worth it in my book. Things tend to go south in a hurry especially at freeway speeds.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
One fine Sunday four of my friends and myself decided to ride up to Conn from Long Island for a bike show at Marcus Dairy. As a group we consisted of 2 Harleys, 1 Goldwing, 1 Yamaha FJR and a Victory for a total of 5 bikes.

We made it through NYC just fine with the 5 of us acting as one, in a normal staggered formation. Cruised up the rest of the way in the fine state of Connecticut.

When as we got within about 20 miles from the show traffic began to slow a bit on the highway. No big deal, after all it's to be expected. So we maintained our formation at the same speed as the traffic which was about 60 to 65.

This is when it happened, something I dont think I will forget anytime soon. I was second to last in our group at this point and out of the corner of my right eye I see a guy on a sport bike begin passing me between my buddys bike and mine. My first reaction was to want to swerve to the left but a hunch told me to turn my head where I find another one in my blind spot.

So I just locked on a straight ahead course but I'm glad I didnt panic and jam on the brakes because there were about 20 more of them behind me. They proceeded to all worm their way through our formation. I really felt like reaching out and slamming these punks heads against their handlebars repeatedly or maybe the old school chain trick but I didnt.

Of course they were wearing shorts and sandals while riding like that but like many here said, I had a bit less wisdom when I was younger too.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
guys on streetbikes are BAD for the motorcycle community! They ride like animals & make police & others pay more attention to local bike stops & hangouts:bat. I for one stopped going to a local bike night because of these type of riders...wheelies in traffic, in & out of cars...mmmmmm makes me wonder why these guys get killed. Don't get me wrong, a riders & rider & the bikes are cool looking, but the way these guys ride (mostly younger) is a big thumbs down

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a 600cc Suzuki Bandit. This thing could go from 0-140MPH in a mile! It would do 110MPH in a quarter mile. It only had 2 speeds, stop and wide open when I was on it so I figured I better get rid of it before I did something stupid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the imput everyone,
Like Eze Rider put it, he kept his track straight ahead when they were zigzaging thru the line, just be aware, and look as carefully in the rear view as you can before you make a move.
You just feel a little more vulnerable on 2 wheels than 4. Its funny, when I was 20, I didn't think about crap, just ride. Now, once I got use to being on the Harley, first time I put my wife on the back, first thing I'm thinkin about is her safety, and am I ready for this. Once again, at 20, heck with it, just get on, lets go...Now I'm 53, just think about things a bit more. Good and bad in all of it I guess.
Have fun everyone, and be careful out there.
Sam G

1 - 18 of 18 Posts