Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen a few peculiar road debris hazard incidents while driving a car,
where being on a bike could have been fatal.

- In high speed traffic, I laid my eye on a brick lying in the road three lanes to my left just as a truck tire hit it a glancing blow that spit it a out at high speed, like stomping on a bar of soap. The brick followed my line of sight directly back at me and shattered against the car door & window molding right at my shoulder. No one on earth could have thrown a brick that hard, it would have shatterted my arm or ribs or leg if I'd have been on a bike.

- In high speed traffic, I saw a flat piece of sheet metal lying in the road, it was about 3 feet x 4 feet, maybe the dismantled end panel from a desk or cabinet, I had time to think it was a hazard but at least it was lying flat. The car in front of me drove over it, and sucked it up off the road so it became a sailing guillotine blade, it hit the side of my car at the junction of the driver's door and the left front fender hard enough to deeply scrape the Mercedes-heavy door sheet metal down to bare metal and beyond, a broad shiny patch where even the primer and metal prep had been sliced off.
I suppose it could have cut of a motorcycle rider's arm AND leg.

- On the highway, I saw a truck wheel somehow come loose, maybe a spare that fell out of it's rack, from the oncoming traffic side and bounce across the median into traffic in my lane. The rim and tire probably weighted at least 300 lbs, not even riding in a car would protect someone it hit. Crossing speed with oncomimg traffic was surely over 100 mph.

- I actually hit a thrown truck tread while riding my bike. A road-gator.
(Over-riding my poor stock 5" headlight, it was the same color as the dark pavement)
I have stopped and picked these things up, trying to build a tough backstop for pistol shooting, and from the ones I have picked up it is likely this tread belt weighed 100 lbs, is made of rubber and steel cord about 3 to 4 inches thick, it was laying on it's side, so it stood 8" high and stretched across my lane 4 feet wide. It could have been as solid as a curb, but by some stroke of luck it just laid over flat when I hit it, without any more impact than running over a cardboard box. Whew!

Maybe discussing this kind of hazard would give someone a couple of milliseconds of head start in reacting to some similar occurrence.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
My sister was following a truck on I-70 in Illinois. She was in her low slung Mustang. The high profile 18 wheeler passed over a cinder block in the middle of the lane but it destroyed my sister's car.

On the bike... was following a pickup truck several vehicles ahead with a son riding with me. A bookcase in the bed of his truck flew up and out of the bed smashing onto the highway. That was interesting. :eek:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I did have tire tread from a truck go flying around on the road ahead of me. I managed to pull into a parking lot and get the heck out of the way of that stuff.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Nathang -- Remind me not to ride with you.:rofl:

Seriously 'though, I have seen many of these things as well as the huge cardboard box blowing out of a parking lot and across in front of me on a windy day and the numerous trash cans people just leave on the street when they get emptied flying all around.

My all time favorite is the pickup with the sheet of plywood or the mattress supposedly being held down by the kids "Since we are not going too far."

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
There is a woman on another forum who hit dropped driveshaft laying in the road at night at 70mph. She went down hard but amazingly by the grace of God was OK. I've seen the "gaters" thrown off big rigs and get lifted by traffic and I guess the worst I've seen was an eight foot ladder laying across a lane.

I'm not much for Interstate riding.

And on that note.....

Ya'll ride safe

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Good advice. Another good reason to keep our brains in full power mode when riding.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I was getting on an entrance ramp and there was a two-wheeled dolly that had fallen from a truck. A real nice, industrial dolly that made me wish I had my truck instead of the bike.:D

I stopped and moved it off of the lane and continued on my way.

About two hours later, I had to go pick up something that my wife had bought and that dolly was still there. I guess God wanted me to have it.

I moved a refrigerator with it just yesterday.;)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I was getting on an entrance ramp and there was a two-wheeled dolly that had fallen from a truck. A real nice, industrial dolly that made me wish I had my truck instead of the bike.:D

I stopped and moved it off of the lane and continued on my way.

About two hours later, I had to go pick up something that my wife had bought and that dolly was still there. I guess God wanted me to have it.

Gives new meaning to the expression, fell of the truck.:D

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Forklift pallets!

Passing thru Conroe, Tx. on the interstate one day i suddenly saw a wooden pallet appear in the lane in front of me. Shortly afterward another, and another and so forth and so on until I came upon some tool in a pick-up pulling a trailer.
Every so often another one would fall off and the idiot was oblivious to it all. He just kept talking on his cell phone. I bet the moron hadn't looked in his rearview mirror for a least 50 miles.:eek:

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A pallet is a bad problem all by itself, but it is also interesting after getting run over
by a couple of big trucks smashes it into a hundred jagged shards all over two lanes.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts

Is this because you put the dolly in a nearby ditch, behind some bushes? :rofl:

OK, No more posts from me... like the post count right where it is. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts