Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to buy a Street Glide (previously owned a '02 Dyna Low Rider and '09 Softail Deluxe), but the the look of the SG really speaks to me. Problem? I'm a 5'3" female and can't reach the kickstand and have to stand on tip-toes to hold up on showroom floor. Dealer not a lot of help. Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Thick soles (I prefer Lugs, they grip better), a HD super reduced reach seat and a jiffy stand extention. One more thing that will make it all better for you. Find another dealer. If they don't want to assist you in taking your money now for a bike purchase, think how they are going to treat you later for service.

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
Mabe riding boots with thick soul....A low profile seat will help also..
Seat makes a big difference, but nothing puts you as low as a SoftTail.

Dealer not a lot of help. Any suggestions out there?
Try a different dealer. They have demo versions of the different seats that they could swap out in less than a minute. They should be willing to earn your money. If not, find one that will.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Are you talking Road Glide or Street Glide ?

I ride an 08 SG and have a 29 inch inseam.

09 and newer bikes frames are slightly wider at the nose of the seat than 08 and older.

I have a low profile seat and I installed a Progressive Suspensions drop in front springs lower kit. It lowered the front of the bike almost 2 inches, made all the difference in the world for me.

You could do the same with a Road Glide, just put Street Glide rear shocks on too.

A two inch drop sounds like a lot, but I have not noticed the suspension being compromised at all.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Find a dealer for a test ride. If the fit is close to what you want, it can be lowered to help. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thick soles (I prefer Lugs, they grip better), a HD super reduced reach seat and a jiffy stand extention. One more thing that will make it all better for you. Find another dealer. If they don't want to assist you in taking your money now for a bike purchase, think how they are going to treat you later for service.
+1 on that note!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the process of lowering a RGC and am male, 5'8" w 27.5" inseam.

I'm going with Progressive lowering (-2" monotubes not dropins), progressive 944 shocks 11 or 11.5 inches or similar (SG stock rear shocks are 12"), the boot mod as mentioned before and arlen ness -1" short kickstand. the problem you'll have is a harder ride due to the lowering and lowering also might create 'bottoming out' and/or tires hitting/rubbing fenders and/or the wires in the rear fender. the other problem, they aint cheap. good luck blarney.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
There's a an older woman that runs some the local group runs that rides an Ultra. There's no way she's more than 5'3". I don't know what she's done to it, but it sits at least 3-4" lower than her husband's Ultra. She handles it pretty well. I have never noticed if she can "flat foot," but she doesn't seem to have any problems moving it around.

It's so much that it is obvious with it sitting beside a stock bike.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm in the process of lowering a RGC and am male, 5'8" w 27.5" inseam.

I'm going with Progressive lowering (-2" monotubes not dropins), progressive 944 shocks 11 or 11.5 inches or similar (SG stock rear shocks are 12"), the boot mod as mentioned before and arlen ness -1" short kickstand. the problem you'll have is a harder ride due to the lowering and lowering also might create 'bottoming out' and/or tires hitting/rubbing fenders and/or the wires in the rear fender. the other problem, they aint cheap. good luck blarney.
Lowering the front of that bike will make a big difference for you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If you buy an 09 or newer a company called fat baggers makes a drop seat conversion for the touring bikes. Makes the seat hieght like 22 inches without compromising suspension. It's about 1800 bucks but it would be well worth it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
531 Posts
I sent my seat off to Mean City Cycles (in North Carolina) to have it lowered. You tell them your specifics and they'll tell you the best option. I'm very happy with my results.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm also 5'3" and ride a 2013 Street Glide. For various reasons I chose NOT to lower the bike, but with a Reach Seat (further modified by MeanCity Cycles) and the simple kickstand extender thingy I am good to go. I don't flat foot, but I do have solid footing and it has never been an issue.

Good luck!

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I think the seating part of the frame can be changed out to lower it plus lowered shocks and forks and the lowered seat, but it'll add a grand and a half to the price of the bike. Check the specs for the kits, I think you can get 4 inches lower before you need to look at platform boots.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
I would really like to buy a Street Glide (previously owned a '02 Dyna Low Rider and '09 Softail Deluxe), but the the look of the SG really speaks to me. Problem? I'm a 5'3" female and can't reach the kickstand and have to stand on tip-toes to hold up on showroom floor. Dealer not a lot of help. Any suggestions out there?
An old GF whom I recently connected with online told me that 3 years ago she learned to ride on, and got her motorcycle license with, her Dad's 1969 Electra Glide. Granted she was 5'7" and athletic, but that sled was a malevolent handling beast compared to a modern FLH.

Like I read somewhere, in today's world women have half the money and all the p&$$y so there really is no excuse for them not to excel at anything (with the possible exception of combat missions in a war zone, but then again most men can't handle that either.)

Go buy your bike, get on it, and go!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts