Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of doing a couple upgrades and I was wondering if anyone had any information on what performence increases you get from adding various parts of the screaming eagle package?

How much HP you get out of them?
How it affects gas milage...?

Thanks for any info you might have... I have been looking around the net and not found anything.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I'm not the person to answer your question, but I can say welcome to the most wonderful HD fan place around. We look forward to hearing from you.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
kraa26... The answer is it depends. The most cost effective/bang-for-the-buck modification is a freer breathing air cleaner kit and slip-on exhaust mufflers. You can squeeze more HP by going with a full pipe exhaust system, but sometimes the extra HP's come at higher RPMs, at the expense of low/mid-range where many H-D riders spend their riding time. Then there are various cam options that can deliver higher nums. If you modify your intake/air cleaner then its advisable to have your FI adjusted as well with something like the SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner). Here's what I'd do...

1). Just go with the cost effective air cleaner/exhaust slip-on upgrade and get a nice performance bump at an effective price. Listen and look around for a muffler you like. There are numerous excellent options.

or

2). Talk to several experts (service & parts) at your dealer with what they recommend. They can be a good source for advice/suggestions.

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I want a bit of both worlds... better gas milage and more horse power.. not sure that is possible, but I have been talking to quiet a few people to try to get a good answer.. there are so many options it is hard to figure out the direction I should go.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
kraa26... I don't think you will lose that much HP (if any) going with the slip-on exhaust and air cleaner kit. I've averaged 50mpg on stock H-D's and the same on H-D's with exhaust/air upgrades. Now, would note the bigger bore 110" Road King here delivers MPG in the low to mid 40's, but if you buy a new/stock 96" H-D you won't see much MPG diff with the suggestion made above, and you'll gain some nice HP.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Harley sets up their air/ Fuel ratio very lean to meet EPA standards and as a side benefit you get very good gas mileage but at the cost of less horsepower and a very hot running motor. Those are facts. If you want a cooler running motor with more horse power but just slightly less gas mileage (most of us do) then go for a S/E air filter and slipons with a fueler/tuner to adjust your mixture and you will have a motorcycle that Harley would sell them selves if there were no EPA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 06 Road King and a 08 1200 Sportster I bought for my wife. For the Road King, I added the SE Air Cleaner (Stage I Kit), the SE Slip On Mufflers, and a SERT. It still gets anywhere between 45 and 48 mpg AND it's a lot more powerful than stock. It runs a lot cooler too ... very important to getting a long life out of your bike.

For the 1200, I did all of the above except I used a V&H Fuel Pack instead of a SERT. Very fast now ... and it sounds like a Harley now too!

·
Registered
350 Posts
For the 96" motor the 103 kit would be the best bang for the buck. I suspect that the power would be the same as my 03 SERK 103" which was 100hp 103 tq.

I was thinking about doing the 103 kit on my 08 FLRH but decided against it as I want to go for economy. I see that with some of the slip ons and the PCIII you can get around 90 -95ftlbs tq and around 72hp or so which is ok for me.

Also if you went with a 103" set up you might call around to a few different dealers as I know one in my area Lakeshore HD in Libetryville IL can actually just bore you oem cylinder and do some headwork so it will save you a few $$ vs buying new cylinders and heads.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the Supertrapp SE and the HD screamin eagle 4" mufflers. Fuel Moto does offer some good prices on various mufflers/high flow A/C and the PCIII. No more dyno runs at the dealer or race fueler its just not necessary for my application. After all what I have been told by a few different independent tuners the PCIII will usually get you around %95 dialed in from a DL map which is fine.

Would like to hear some feedback on the Supertrapp SE vs the HD 4" Screamin Eagle Mufflers.

John

I have been thinking of doing a couple upgrades and I was wondering if anyone had any information on what performence increases you get from adding various parts of the screaming eagle package?

How much HP you get out of them?
How it affects gas milage...?

Thanks for any info you might have... I have been looking around the net and not found anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts