Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2008 Road King. I also own a Honda VTX 1300. On my VTX the speedo is off about 6 miles at 65 miles per hour. Is there any variance on my Road King Speedometer?

Also, I am a bit shorter than most. Is there a way to lower the bike? I know they make lowering kits but my bike has the leather bags with the shock cutouts and I don't think those kits will work with my bike.

Thanks for the help.

Clint

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
I had a Honda Sabre that was off by 5 MPH. Many bike's speedos are off anywhere from 2-5 MPH. My '14 FLHX is off by 2-3 MPH. I have checked it several times using my two Garmin GPSs.

They say the manufacturers make them read higher than you're actually going for safety reasons. They want us riders to think we're going i.e., 60 when, in fact, we're really only going 55-58 MPH; again, depending upon your bike.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Almost all speedo's are off by some degree. Tire size has some bearing, as does tire wear.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
How do you find out your speedo is off BEFORE you get pulled over for speeding?

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can get an aftermarket seat, or there are shops that will customize the stock seat, both can give you a lower seating position.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Back in the stone ages when I was a kid, we'd get on an interstate highway, get the speedo even on 60 mph, and see if it took one minute to get from one mile marker to the next with the second hand on our watch. It takes a couple, because they are not always exactly 5,280 ft. apart due to bridges etc.
More often than not, we'd also see if we could get between them in 30 seconds. Just being interested in mathematics you know. :)

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
This should have been my question a couple years ago on the Sporty, but after pointing out to the officer, I was only doing 50 plus in a 45, I was pretty sure of it, not rude, but didn't go with his over 60 in a 45. He wrote me a warning.. later found out the bike had several mods to it, when I pegged the speedo at 62, I was actually doing 70 mph. Worked in my favor not really knowing it was that far off.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Seems like I'm always running into those automated speedcheckers mounted on a trailer. Sometimes in subdivisions, sometimes in construction zones--even on the interstates. You know the ones, they calculate your speed and show it to you on a big lighted readout--and if you are over the limit your speed flashes in red. Sometimes there is other traffic around so I'm not sure then whose speed is being shown. But I've been through enough of them now, with no other traffic around, to know whatever my HD speedo shows my actual speed is 3 mph slower. And the 3 mph over holds true both at very low speed and higher speed. So riding the slab with a 70 mph limit I set my cruise dead on 80. With my 3 mph error I should actually be doing 77 mph and that is within the 10 over most jurisdictions allow you. Works for me--haven't had a speeding or any other ticket since 1982. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
They say you hit what your gaze is locked on....

--

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Well, that just can't be true, or else I'd have committed several hit and runs on U of M co-eds by now...
Well, maybe in that case the quote would be, "You want to hit whatever your gaze is locked on."

--

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Well, that just can't be true, or else I'd have committed several hit and runs on U of M co-eds by now...

It is a scenic ride through a college campus on a warm spring day. Kent State has some great sights.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently purchased a 2008 Road King. Is there a way to lower the bike? I know they make lowering kits but my bike has the leather bags with the shock cutouts and I don't think those kits will work with my bike.

Thanks for the help.

Clint

My '09 RKC speedo has about a 3mph variance. I'm 5'11" and wanted the feeling of "sitting in the bike" so I went with a custom aftermarket seat that lowered me 2" and put me 2" further back.

Then I just recently installed the LA Choppers lowering blocks that put the rear end 1" lower because I like the look of a lowered scoot, and I also have the leather bags and "No issues at all"! Go for it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks!

My '09 RKC speedo has about a 3mph variance. I'm 5'11" and wanted the feeling of "sitting in the bike" so I went with a custom aftermarket seat that lowered me 2" and put me 2" further back.

Then I just recently installed the LA Choppers lowering blocks that put the rear end 1" lower because I like the look of a lowered scoot, and I also have the leather bags and "No issues at all"! Go for it!
HarleyKnarley,
I appreciate the suggestions and will check them out. I am still learning about the bike and look to this forum for input.

Clint

1 - 20 of 20 Posts