Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Road King

I have a question about the security system on my RK. The bike is new to me. I got it in November and it’s my first Harley so I’m still learning.

When I go to turn the bike on with the ignition switch, the security system activates (lights flash, red light blinks on the dash, dash tells me to enter my pin). However, no audible alarm goes off. I have the fob in my pocket when I try to turn the bike on. It usually takes me 4-5 attempts at turning the ignition switch on before the bike recognizes the fob and actually turns on. I replaced the battery in the fob but it didn’t help. I should add that when I bought the bike, I programmed my own pin.

Can someone please explain how this security system is supposed to work? Why isn’t the system recognizing my fob? Can the system be adjusted? Why doesn’t an audible alarm sound when I sit on the bike or move it around? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Key Fob Battery . . . do you have a second key fob (maybe something is wrong with the first one and the bike is not recognizing the key fob. That is the only way I get the pin screen to show up on my bike - if I don't have the key fob with me.

Reactions: JTJ

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My 2016 Ultra Limited did not come with an alarm . . . I had to install that myself. My lights would flash but to get sound, I had to purchase the alarm (about $100) and install that - plug-n-play.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Key Fob Battery . . . do you have a second key fob (maybe something is wrong with the first one and the bike is not recognizing the key fob. That is the only way I get the pin screen to show up on my bike - if I don't have the key fob with me.
I’ll try the other fob I guess. I’m hoping nothing is wrong with the system.

·
Retired citizen
24,501 Posts
FYI replace FOB batteries yearly, not just the bike, the car and truck too ! Those FOBs are active all the time and the batteries wear out even when you're not using the FOBs. That goes for the vehicles main 12V batteries as well, they're active even after you turn the ignition off. Security system, sound system, BCM all remain active after the ignition is turned off. Battery maintenance is crucial to avoiding a break down at the most inopportune time !

·
Registered
579 Posts
FYI replace FOB batteries yearly, not just the bike, the car and truck too ! Those FOBs are active all the time and the batteries wear out even when you're not using the FOBs. That goes for the vehicles main 12V batteries as well, they're active even after you turn the ignition off. Security system, sound system, BCM all remain active after the ignition is turned off. Battery maintenance is crucial to avoiding a break down at the most inopportune time !
I was amazed at the amount of battery drain. Never needed a battery tender until I got my '14 Street Glide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So is my fob no good? Like I said earlier, I replaced the battery in the fob a month or so ago and it still takes several attempts at starting the bike for the system to recognize the fob.

·
Registered
706 Posts
could also be a problem with the Antenna not being installed correctly or being shielded in some way so it does not "see" the FOB.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
CRSO
350 Posts
IF you are a DIY-er, you don’t need to spend $100 to add the alarm siren to your 2014...just add a 12V piezo siren, some 3M Dual Lok industrial velco and two terminal sockets... $20 max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.