Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and thanks for stopping by. I am having a dilema. I had a Softail but got in wreck. I am looking to replace it. I loved the ride it was amazingly smooth. I would love to get a 2008 Heritage Softail with the anniversary colors I think they are gorgeous. I am also wondering about a Road King. I know they have the same engine and hear the Road King has a smoother ride. Any opinions would be great. Also pros and cons. Look forward to reading replies. :feedback:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a Heritage and loved it, but went with a touring bike this year and what a difference. A friend did the same thing from a Heritage to a Road King and said he only wished he done it sooner.

·
Registered
803 Posts
No they do not have the same engine. Softail has a solid mounted engine, Road king is rubber mounted. Softail is smooth while idling but has engine vibration while riding. Road king will shake while idling, but is smooth when riding.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Depends where you ride the most. Me and two other guys where just talking yesterday that for the sake of garage space and the great ride and handling that you get with a softail for local driving ,we agreed that if we are going on a long trip we are just going to rent a bigger bike.We think that local driving and driving in a town you just can't beat a Softail .

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
From gathering info from harley people for years I think if someone is not sure what harley to get Get a Road King.
Why? to me its just as nimble as any harley, maybe not for everyone but for someone thats been riding for a second.
The look? its got that nostalgic classic look and the touring ride, which is the reason I hear a lot of road king owners say they like it

·
Registered
11,978 Posts
No they do not have the same engine. Softail has a solid mounted engine, Road king is rubber mounted. Softail is smooth while idling but has engine vibration while riding. Road king will shake while idling, but is smooth when riding.
My Softail is smooth when riding. Internal engine balancers take care of vibrations.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,673 Posts
My Softail is smooth when riding. Internal engine balancers take care of vibrations.
Same here, I road a bike with struts instead of rear shocks and very stiff setting on front forks for years so my softail is like riding around in a caddy and I've put on many more miles than some of my touring bike owning friends in last four or five years, but I know a touring rig would be better for them long hauls.
As long as nobody tells my softail that its not a touring bike I think I'll be alright for a while :laugh

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
Hi and thanks for stopping by. I am having a dilema. I had a Softail but got in wreck. I am looking to replace it. I loved the ride it was amazingly smooth. I would love to get a 2008 Heritage Softail with the anniversary colors I think they are gorgeous. I am also wondering about a Road King. I know they have the same engine and hear the Road King has a smoother ride. Any opinions would be great. Also pros and cons. Look forward to reading replies. :feedback:
Do yourself a favor and rent a Road King for a day. Or one of the other touring bikes if you can't find a Road King close by to rent. Couple of hours in the saddle will tell you what you want to know.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
What LJ said...
King is more comfortable for me....but a springer ST most likely will be my next acquisition.

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
King, no question. Beefier frame and suspension, but plenty agile for tooling around town. It's the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Most "types" of motorcycles incorporate compromises of some characteristics. The Road King seems to do one of the better jobs of this for the things that most riders find attractive about the Harley experience.

That being said, the Softails are great bikes, and I absolutely love my son's Fat Boy and it's a blast to ride. But since I can only own one bike right now, I'm thrilled that my bike is a Road King. It's versatility is unmatched, IMHO.

--

·
Former Lurker
2,916 Posts
I have had both and would go with a touring model.
The new Rushmore touring bikes are fantastic...

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
I would love to get a 2008 Heritage Softail with the anniversary colors I think they are gorgeous. I am also wondering about a Road King. I know they have the same engine and hear the Road King has a smoother ride. Any opinions would be great. Also pros and cons. Look forward to reading replies. :feedback:
khesse1972,

Here's my take...

I had the Softail you want (see attachments); 2008 Heritage Softail Classic in Copper/Black and I loved the bike but loved the colors even more. So I know where you're coming from. The softails are nice with the balanced shaft engine that prevents the shaking at low engine RPMs. The 2008 models and some older ones have a very noisy 5th gear in the transmission. It whines and growls while in that gear. I had the noise and it made me nuts. The newer models from 2010 were fixed and that noise is gone (from what I have heard).

I traded my Softail for a 2014 Street Glide and it is certainly a nice change; The touring models have more options, more standard toys like cruise control and many riders say the ride is much better on the touring. The Road King is appropriately named because it is the best riding smaller touring Harley.

My suggestion; if you go for another Softail, make it a 2010 or newer to avoid the transmission problem.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts