Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Harley Road King won't start. Tried jumping the bike with a portable jumper. The bike started twice but as soon as the jumper was disconnected the bike died. On the third attempt some smoke came from around the battery area. Not sure where the smoke came from but it wouldn't start again. Put the bike on a charger over night. When the ignition switch is turned on the neutral light and oil light comes on. No lights, no horn, and no odometer. When the run switch is turned on no fuel pump noise. And nothing happens when the start button is depressed. Checked all the fuses on the left side and they look intact.

·
240 Posts
I,m not one of the experts but they usually respond a lot better if you introduce yourself. Kind of who you are, your experience level, stuff like that. I see Fort Irwin as your location so I would guess US Army. They tend to have a soft spot for active duty type. This is a great place to get help.

Welcome from Iowa

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Battery cable connections?
How many volts is the battery putting out?

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
My guess is the battery is shot, for starters. If you saw smoke come from that area, then I would be pulling the battery, and investigating where it came from. Look for melted wires, etc, BEFORE you try anything else. Have the battery load tested, chances are, it's shot.

DON'T buy a cheap Walmart battery either, chances are it "fits", but doesn't have enough CCA.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I one time had a 1990 883 and got stop by a cop for running a red light that I sat and watched cycle three times except the turn lane. Anyway he pulls me over and upon restart, the bike wouldn't. The battery had separated an internal plate. I could jump the battery and start but had to keep rpms up to keep it running. Oh, I took the ticket to court and got out of it after telling my story and judge asking the ballif if he heard of such a thing and he had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry yes I am active duty Army. I have been riding for just over 4 years. I have done some minor upgrades to my bike like 10.5 inch apes, installed a fairing with radio, cone intake, and slip on exhaust.

·
ZVO
1,416 Posts
Pics!

Pull the battery out for sure! After the smoke i wouldnt have even charged it...i would have just pulled the battery and tossed it in the mojave.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
When you put the battery back in put a piece of tie down strap or some such around it. Makes the next removal so much easier.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
The battery is certainly the number 1 suspect. But the smoke indicates a circuit issue. The only way to fix that is go buy some more magic smoke and pump it back into the wiring. :D

Seriously, though -- follow the battery cables to the point where they connect to the starter ( pos.) And the frame ( neg.). A loose connection can cause your problem and a loose connection can cause arcing and a hot spot which can result in smoke.

When I experienced the problem you're having, I discovered that one of my battery posts was cracked. New battery took care of that. But I've also had both battery cable terminals get loose on both ends. Harleys vibrate. A lot. You have to check those connections regularly and frequently.

--

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Check all battery cable connections:

Starter solenoid, starter motor, battery, both positive and negative.

The smoke may be coming from a loose connection.

Fully charge the battery and have it load tested.

·
Señor Member
19,709 Posts
The battery is certainly the number 1 suspect. But the smoke indicates a circuit issue. The only way to fix that is go buy some more magic smoke and pump it back into the wiring. :D

Seriously, though -- follow the battery cables to the point where they connect to the starter ( pos.) And the frame ( neg.). A loose connection can cause your problem and a loose connection can cause arcing and a hot spot which can result in smoke.

When I experienced the problem you're having, I discovered that one of my battery posts was cracked. New battery took care of that. But I've also had both battery cable terminals get loose on both ends. Harleys vibrate. A lot. You have to check those connections regularly and frequently.

--

I agree with this. Great place to start. Always start with the easy and obvious first.

·
Registered
72 Posts
More than likely you will need to replace the battery. The smoke is coming from a loose battery cable. (the Harley battery cables need to be checked and retighten every 3 to 6 months due to vibration). The battery probably went down due to not getting charged because the cables are loose. Replace battery tighten cables (don't over tighten) and you should be good to go...

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
When electrons start smoking, do no operate till you find a cause. ECM's and electrical modules can be badly damaged in a heart beat.

·
Retired citizen
23,860 Posts
Did you check the big orange maxi-fuse ?
Where did you connect the portable jumper leads ? At the battery terminals or elsewhere ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: after all the battery talk I took it out and inspected the area for any noticeable damage. I couldn't see anything so I hooked the battery up to the charger once more and started calling around the motorcycle shops for battery prices. Before I left home from lunch I saw that the battery was charged. I hooked it back up and boom the bike fired up. Thanks for all the tips. In the future I'll just make sure to hook up the tender if I leave the bike for any amount of time.

·
Retired citizen
23,860 Posts
If the battery cables were tight I would start testing the charging system. There's a reason the battery wasn't charged. The tender will mask the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts